Rollercoaster Drop

Most people had gone home by this point and Jeremy and Eric were left standing in an empty hallway after Liza uttered a goodbye and a 'good job guys'. They both fell silent as they watched her walk away and then Eric turned to face Jeremy again.

"I guess that was a success" said Jeremy with a grin, only now noticing how much taller Eric was than him. He wasn't used to standing this close to Eric and now that he was he had to look up slightly to make eye contact with him. He was also noticing a lot more about Eric's face from this angle- that he looked really good, especially in the suit he had worn for today and his hair looked great too- he just looked good. Although Jeremy knew these definitely weren't the thoughts you were supposed to have about your guy friends.

Eric nodded "But hey I'm sorry you didn't win." he said, with an apologetic grin. He lifted his hand and placed it on Jeremy's shoulder in comfort but he didn't remove his hand he just sort of left it there. It gave Jeremy that feeling you get on a rollercoaster when it drops and you feel like your flying for a second.

Jeremy's glance flickered over to the hand on his shoulder before he looked back up at Eric "Well it's not your fault- and hey at least that new kid Will didn't even win the raffle after all that." he replied and then silence fell between them again. They both just kind of stared at each other as if expecting the other person to say something first. Jeremy noticed Eric seemed to be moving closer to him, he could hear people talking nearby but in that moment he didn't really care because all of a sudden Eric's lips were meeting his.

Jeremy had only been kissed once or twice before by girls and he had just thought that he didn't like kissing but that, as it turned out, was far from the truth. It turns out girls just didn't really seem to do it for him the same way Eric did. The kiss was short only lasting a couple of seconds but he wanted it to go on forever, it just felt right. There it was again- the roller coaster drop feeling in his stomach, it was crazy that one person could make him feel it so many times.

They pulled apart as they both opened their eyes and Jeremy remembered the voices he had heard behind him in the hallway. If somebody saw him like this, much worse somebody he knew, then everybody would know. He glanced sideways and felt his heart drop at the sight of Nick and that kid Will, although Will wasn't looking in his direction Nick had gasped and she was looking right at him.

Eric followed Jeremy's glance and saw the look of fear in Jeremy's eyes, his face formed into a frown too like he was suddenly remembering that Jeremy wasn't out- Eric wasn't really either only his family knew. Jeremy took a step back he gave Eric an apologetic look but also a pleading one- one that said 'don't say a word about this'. "I'll...uh catch up with you later Eric" he said, his voice coming out all hoarse and scratchy and his eyes starting to water like he might cry which he hated doing. Eric seemed to understand that Jeremy needed to talk to Nick because he nodded and left, glancing back over his shoulder as he walked.

Then Will turned around, he saw Jeremy and his eyes widened- probably thinking he had gotten Nick in trouble since the two of them appeared to be having a moment of their own. Once Will was gone Jeremy approached Nick trying to think of something, anything to say that would justify the situation. He was not ready for his mom and dad to know, or his sister. He supposed one of his 'sisters' already knew now.

But unsurprisingly Nick was sweet and caring, she talked him through it and promised she wouldn't tell a soul. Jeremy felt a great weight lifted off his shoulders as he walked out of the school with her. Meanwhile his brain kept replaying the kiss over and over, the perfect moment felt as though it could never fade from his memory. Jeremy has been questioning his sexuality for years but this was the confirmation, this was the flashing red sign saying 'you're gay!' and for the first time, because of Eric's kiss, he felt completely okay with that.

In the parking lot he let Nick walk ahead when he spotted Eric leaning against a wall nearby, typing on his phone. He approached him hurriedly so he could stop himself from panicking about what he was about to do. He stopped right in front of Eric who looked up and opened his mouth to say something to Jeremy but before he could he was cut off by Jeremy standing on his tip-toes and kissing him. This one lasted a bit longer than the last and it somehow felt even more perfect.

Jeremy pulled away "I gotta go but, we'll talk later" he replied breathlessly, grinning from both how great the kiss had been and how proud he was of himself for being the one to initiate it. He turned and walked away before Eric had even caught his breath from the kiss. Jeremy looked back over his shoulder as he walked away and saw Eric blushing and scratching the back of his neck as he watched Jeremy go, he could tell he had just made Eric feel the rollercoaster drop and it felt good.

He caught up with Nick who didn't seem to notice how giddy Jeremy was, she put her arm around his shoulder "Let's go home" he said, wondering how he had ever hated Nick considering the burst of courage she just given him. He looked back over his shoulder at Eric one last time and he felt it again- the roller coaster drop.