Waking Up

Part 1 (APOV)

                Slowly my eyes fluttered open to see I was in my room, Kamdon at my side with a worried look on his face, as soon as he saw my eyes his lit up. His hand was holding on to mine running his finger back and forth on the back of it, “Annie, are you okay? I was so worried.”

                “What happened?” I whispered my throat dry.

                He sighed getting up and stepping into the bathroom. I heard the water run for a second before he appeared with a glass of water in his hands, “you passed out after seeing your brother and sister,” he answered sitting down beside me wrapping his arms around me and kissing my head.

                “So they really are here? That wasn’t just a dream?” I asked hopeful that he would say it was just a dream. He nodded his head slowly telling me that they were here, “but it doesn’t make since they died. All of them died before my eyes. How can they be alive?”

                “I don’t know sweetie. They won’t explain anything. They said that they wanted to wait for you,” he whispered looking at me carefully. I nodded my head as I tried to stand up, but Kamdon held tightly to me, “Annie, are you sure?” He whispered picking up my hands and kissing them.

                I placed one hand on his cheek, “I have to know what happened, I need to know.” He stood up holding my hands tight; he pulled me into him before leading me down the stairs where a strange silence covered the room.

Rachael and Josh sat on the love seat looking at the two people I thought I would never see again. They sat in the two arm chairs leaving Kamdon and I to sit on the coach, everyone looked at me as I sat on the coach praying I would maybe wake up beside Kamdon back in Colorado, “What happened that night?” I whispered softly.

“We still aren’t entirely sure what happened,” my sister said to me as she sat across from me.

My brother then cut her off from saying something, “Annie, I know that there are two other wolves in here, but you need to know right now that we are both weres.”

“How?” I asked in total shock. Kamdon beside me stiffened his back.

“I’ll tell you what we do know okay? We aren’t a threat,” he whispered looking at Kamdon and then me.  “We both remember the accident. We remember you writing on the window and dad losing control. I remember every sound the car made as it was rolling I couldn’t believe what was happening. I remember the car stopping and it being silent, I remember hearing you mumble something and then I was out, darkness over took me…”

“I remember all of that too,” Abbi said looking up at me with tears in her eyes. “I heard you, and then I heard some strange voices they came out of nowhere. I remember being picked up by someone and carried away. And then darkness took me over too.

Nick started talking again, “the next thing I know I wake up inside a house I’ve never seen before Abbi was at my side, still asleep. Y’all were nowhere in sight. Then an older lady came in and explained that we were wolves now and that y’all had died. She told us that we were in Texas, southern Texas and that we couldn’t leave until they told us we could. The older woman became like a mother to us, she took care of us, but she also lied to us. She told us you were dead, but a few weeks ago we were told that you were alive that you survived the car wreck. Then we were told that we could leave where we were to come see you.”

I sat there staring at them; there was something wrong with their story. It didn’t seem right. “So how exactly did you find Annie?” Kamdon asked feeling my emotions.

“It took us a while but we got in contact with her last social worker and she told us Annie was here. We got on the first plane. And if you don’t mind me asking who are y’all?”

“This is Rachael and Josh, my adoptive parents,” I said finally speaking, “and this is Kamdon my husband and mate.”

“Well I’m glad to see you found a good home,” Nick answered as he stared at Kamdon and then at Josh like they were a threat. “Well I know this is a short visit but we really have to get going our adoptive parents are waiting for us.” I nodded my head not saying anything, “and if it’s okay with you can we come back tomorrow to catch up?” I nodded again my mouth not able to work. “Bye sis,” they both said making their leave.

There was still something wrong, something in the pit of my stomach telling me not to trust them even if they were family. There was something about the way they were talking and the way they were trying to tell me how that night went. I never mumbled anything. I know that for sure. I never opened my mouth.

“Annie?” Kamdon said from beside me.

“Yeah.”

He looked at me, “what’s wrong? Why do you have all these mixed feelings?”

“Their story, it doesn’t make since,” I said as Josh and Rachael walked back in. “The car never flipped like they said it did. And I never said or mumbled anything; I never opened my mouth that night. The only thing that I can kind of agree with was the voices. When I was asleep because of your father, I heard all of your voices, but I also heard another set of voices that I didn’t know. And now I know they were a memory, they were talking about us after the wreck. Kamdon they may be my siblings but I don’t trust them, there’s something telling me to not let them in to just pretend they never showed up. But my heart is telling me to never let them leave my sight again. What do I do?” I ended as tears formed in my eyes.

Kamdon took me in his arms, “I don’t know what you can do baby. There’s something in me too telling me to take you and run, so they can’t find you. When I heard they were wolves it took me a while to get my wolf back under control, he doesn’t trust them either. But then again they are your family. I don’t know what you can do.”

“Josh? Rachael? What do you think?” I whispered against Kamdon’s chest.

“I think we just have to let things unfold as fate has planned for it to,” Josh whispered not really giving us any help.

“Okay.”