Chapter Twenty-three

I might as well have checked into a rehab facility because my stay at my mum's was almost equivalent to staying in an institution. I woke up in the morning, showered, ate, my mum dropped me off at therapy, picked me up and won't let me stay at home alone so I stayed at Evolve with her till we returned at night. I chose to busy myself with work and assist my mum with paperwork. At first she refused, which was a first, but Dr. Abbey explained to her that working would not cause me to relapse. So I worked as my mum's assistant manager and when I was free of managerial duties, I was Chef Pati's sous chef.

The day after my confession to Dominic, I decided to rip off all bandages at once so I could continue on my road to recovery. So I called Damien and Alexa to come visit. I had found renewed courage and finally admitted my addiction to them.

Alexa cried and as she smiled through her tears, I noticed they were happy tears. She hugged me and thanked me for finally telling her. She had her own confession to make. She found my stash in high school and was the one to steal it out of my bag so she would catch me red-handed. Unfortunately, and fortunately, Sumaya found me first.

I could not believe my ears. Alexa was the reason I got caught and finally got help.

Stranger things happened, take for instance Almara and I being friends. She called herself my 'sober buddy' even though I reminded her countless times that the term was actually 'sober companion'. Two months ago, if you told me that Almara and I would be good friends I never would have believed it. Now she was in my house every week to do my hair, complain about my appearance since I adopted a more casual look and talk to me about making amends with loved ones. I always asked her how Dominic was doing and she kept me updated but she never once actually said he was fine.

So I kept moving forward with my therapy, Dr. Abbey confirmed that I would be done in three months. I was glad because my mum had postponed her wedding indefinitely. She finally set a date after I argued with her about it and showing her my status reports. Even my dad had to step in and support my insistence on getting her wedding back on track.

My family was healing and I was happy to have them all forgive me. It wasn't easy at first but they started to trust me again. My dad showed up to every family session so I had both parents present. Sumaya made it when she could and my mum allowed Sumaya and Alexa to sleepover on weekends. I was grateful for the company because after seeing other recovering addicts every day of the week, it felt nice to hang out with non-addicts. It made things seem normal again. Aunt Jamila cooked for me. Every other weekend, she would take me to see a play so I could live a little. My mum had me cooped up in our house like a prisoner.

As the weeks went by, at a snail's pace, I would look at the photos of Dominic and I on my phone and laptop and promise myself to make amends with him someday. He will not take me back but he will forgive me. Wouldn't he?

I sighed each time I was left with that unanswered question.

Two months into therapy and I had a surprise visit at home one weekend. I opened my front door and there stood Lucas Wole. Sumaya was in my room and I didn't want a scene so I stepped out onto the porch and closed the door behind me.

"Lucas, what are you doing here? How did you even find this house?" I whispered.

"Good afternoon Kerry, how are you feeling?" He replied instead.

"Good afternoon. I'm..." I couldn't find the words to describe my state, " taking one step at a time, that's all I can say. Now answer my question"

"Chris gave me directions. I'm here to see you and your sister" he finally said.

"I don't think that's a good idea" I shifted uncomfortably and glanced behind me to see if Sumaya had come out of the room yet.

"I wronged her years ago. I want to apologize to her. I know it is long overdue but after I saw her that afternoon, I can't shake the thought of how I hurt her out of my mind" he said slowly and then looked at me earnestly, "Making amends is never easy"