Chapter Twenty-Four

"Okay, it's time!" Ada's mother poked her head through the door and said with all the joy her heart could hold.

"Time to get married" my mother said, glowing. She was wearing a replica of my grandmother's wedding gown. It was a long sleeved fully lace gown with a V-neck and it skimmed her hips before slightly opening up to pool at her feet. She had almost decided to wear a peach colored gown. We, her bridesmaids, taunted her into thinking it was almost like bad luck to not wear white for her very first wedding.

There she was looking every bit much like a blushing bride in her white wedding gown, her hair in an up-do that left long curls trickling down each side of her face and the long veil she opted for made her look regal. I held back tears. They had already done my makeup twice.

Sumaya and Alexa were in mint Grecian styled long satin bridesmaids' dresses. I took one look at them looking like Greek goddesses and teared up. Almara was supervising makeup and scolded me for messing up my eyes. So they started over. Then my mum came out of her private dressing room to join us and this time we all cried, bridesmaids, Almara, Ada's mother and myself. This time no one got scolded. The makeup artists just smiled in understanding before touching up our makeup. I guess they were used to these emotional bridal party moments.

My maid of honor dress had the same mint green Grecian satin long dress theme but mine showed less skin on my shoulders and back as the bridesmaids' dresses. We all wore gold heels except for the bride of course who wore white heels.

We left our quarters led by Ada's mum and stood behind closed doors in our order. Eric and William were arm in arm with Sumaya and Alexa in order of height. I stood behind my mum as expected and then my father walked up to us. He was giving my mother away since none of her parents were alive to do so. Nii was okay with it though honestly it was very unconventional. My father had explained he felt it was the right thing to do for my mum because of their history. The priest did raise an eyebrow when told about the last minute change but hey, it was symbolic for forgiveness right?

So the bridal party stood and we could hear the song begin to play behind the doors. My mum wanted a traditional wedding complete with the wedding march played as she walked down the aisle. We told her to skip that conventional music and use something more romantic. The bridesmaids are supposed to make the bride happy, that was the cardinal rule but we bullied her a bit into changing certain details. She will thank us later.

The doors pulled open and the song that played at my grandparents very last wedding anniversary celebration on earth filled the place. Grandma had always hummed that song every anniversary since her husband died. I took a peek and saw Nii down at the altar looking on as we walked graciously down the aisle bringing him his bride. His eyes were so filled with love and he could not stop smiling. Kevin stood by his side, beaming as well.

When my dad handed her over to Nii, they shook hands briefly. Then the bridesmaids and groomsmen filled the front pews with my dad, aunt Jamila, Ada's mum and dad in the front pew across. Everyone who loved my mum was here. I took my seat next to Kevin behind our parents and the ceremony begun.

The service was short but memorable. My mum and Nii said traditional vows, you know, for better, for worse. They kissed, the whole church cheered. The priest gave a brief sermon about love and marriage before the communion was given. They left to sign the wedding certificate. My godfather was my mother's witness, playing the role as her father.

They finally came out to be introduced as a legally married couple and we left for the reception. Everyone pitched in to make my mum's wedding day special.

My godfather was a very loyal patron of Evolve for many years before he became my mum's guardian then my godfather. The man was wealthy enough to pay for food and drinks at the reception, said it was his gift to the daughter he never had but was blessed with all the same. Ada's mother handled the church decorations and Chef Pati provided the wedding cake. My dad and step mum handled reception venue decorations. My mum deserved all the love she could get.