CHAPTER 1 - ALEX

Another day. Another day in the record store, another day passes and I still don’t know what I’m doing. I mean, the record store is good money to just stack records all day and plus, I get free records which is pretty cool, but do I want to do this my whole life? All my friends have girls and stable jobs, Dan’s got his cafe, Louis has his club, Jack is studying to be a lawyer and they’re settling down, and I’m still here. Louis has a gorgeous girl, so does Jack and Dan. Who knows, but I’m happy, so that’s all that counts right?
Oh well, I’m gonna be late.
Catcha later.
- Alex

I write in my poetry book, like I do every morning.

I put it in my bedside table draw, give my dog, Oscar, some biscuits and a pat and head out onto the streets of New York.

The fresh early morning air hits me as I put my coat on and walk to the closest cafe for my coffee trying to dodge the hurried business people in their suits with briefcases.

“The usual, Alex?” Dan asks me, as I walk through the door as the smell of fresh coffee hits me.

“Yeah, sure,” I reply.

“You alright? You seen a bit distracted,”

“Yeah, just had a weird dream last night, I guess,” I reply.

“Here you go,” Dan says as he hands me the coffee as I give him a 5 dollar bill.

“Thanks man, see you later” I say as I walk out of the cafe and head to the record store.

The day passes slowly, a whole six hours of labelling, rearranging and stacking records with Jack.

“Heading to the club tonight?” Jack asks me as we lock up the store.

“Yeah, sure. To celebrate the week, to celebrate being single,” I say with as much sarcasm as I can.

“Aw come on man, don’t be such a downer. We are going to find you a lovely lady and you are going to have amazing drunk sex,” Jack replies.

“Haha! Okay, come on then,” I say as I put my arm around my best mate. “We gotta pick up your lady first don’t we?”

We start walking to where Louis works.

“Nah, she’s having a night in, had a crazy day at the office she tells me,”

“Sarah? A busy day? Never! Not at the primary school anyway?” I laugh.

“What’s with all the sarcasm today?” Jack replies with a laugh.

“I dunno, hey?” I say with a smirk.           

We both laughed and walked to the end of the block and turned right into the club where Louis works, ordered our drinks and sat at our usual table.

“What about her?” Jack says pointing out a blonde girl. 

“No way, she looks like barbie on steroids,” I reply with a chuckle.

We both laugh at all the other girls walking in looking like barbie dolls with their dresses two sizes too small and over done make-up.

Louis finishes his shift and brings us a round of beers.

“How was everyone’s day?” He asks.

“Okay,” Jack and I say in unison and laugh some more.

“How many rounds have you two had?” Louis asks chuckling.

“One, two, three, I have no idea” I slur, counting on my fingers.

“I think I better take you two home, it is nearly 1am,” Louis says as he lifts both Jack and I up by the arms and leads us to his car.

I stumble out of his car and wave Louis off, I search through my pockets for my keys, dropping them multiple times before I finally get through the door greeted by Oscar.

I stumble to my bed and flop down and fall into a deep sleep straight away...

“Alex! No, don’t you even think about it!” A girl laughs and yells as I carry her over my shoulders to the beginning of the beach.

The sea air hits me in the face and blows my hair all over the place, the girl continues to laugh and yell my name as I kick off my shoes and carry her to the water.

I start to run with the girl over my shoulders into the water, she yells my name and laughs; it’s the most beautiful sound I’ve heard in a long time.

We both get pushed over by the waves coming at us and we fall over.

She stands up, soaking with sea water, much more wet than I am, she runs at me and tackles me to the ground, hitting the water.

We bother get up and stand in the water, a few feet away from one another, waves crashing at our knees. I watch as she slowly walks towards me and flings her arms around my neck and I snake my arms around her waist. I take in every detail of her face; her deep brown eyes, long, wavy, brown hair, her chubby cheeks and the dimples in her cheeks when she smiles. 

I watch her as she leans in and kisses me hard and passionatly on the lips. I feel a burst of butterflies in my stomach; Goosebumps pop up all over my body, tingles down my spine.

We pull away from each other and smile. She lets out a giggle and her eyes sperkle. She's so beautiful, the moonlight illuminating her face.

I wake up, sitting straight up in my bed, sweat on my forehead and still in my clothes from the day before. I look over my clock, 4:45am.

I stumble to the bathroom and wash my face. I look up into my mirror and think about that dream; who was that girl? And why was she in my dream? And why did we kiss? It felt so real...like it happened before, like a déjà vu...

Thank you for reading! Please continue to do so! - Riana xx