thirty three

+

+

I woke up to the steady beeping of a heart monitor. It wasn't the most comforting thing, the noise resembling an annoying clock or a bird tapping on the window with its beak at an ungodly hour of the morning. So in other words; it was annoying.

I hadn't experienced waking up in the hospital many times. Maybe once or twice at most, this being my second. I didn't expect that number to stay so small, a shinobi and all being my profession.

Slowly, I opened my eyes, staring up at white sealing tiles. I winced at a twinge of pain in my eyes, the sudden stream of bright light nothing pleasant. So thank you very much to whatever dumb fuck had opened the curtains.

Throwing my arm over my face, I squeezed my eyes shut and tried to ward off the pain, reducing it to a dull throb.

I must have ended up in here after passing out. Thanks to whoever had shown up, I wasn't killed by Gaara. Reduced to such a withering state because of my dojutsu wasn't something I liked tampering with. In all honesty, it made me want to avoid using it at all costs. Especially if it was so painful to the point where I passed out. The light sensitivity was probably a side effect too.

Slowly, I sat up in the hospital bed, muscles groaning in protest. I grit my teeth at the pain in my ribs, the sharp jolts from before reduced to an aching like a sore muscle. It was probably healed recently, explaining the soreness. My back didn't hurt anymore though. That must have been healed too. I needed to make sure to thank any medic nin that decided to show up in my room.

I pulled at the hem of my dirty, and smelly shirt, wishing I had lost my sense of smell. Because holy fuck—it was really, really bad. Almost like a decaying body, really.

While I may had been healed, I was still dressed in my nasty ass clothes, blood spilled on the black t-shirt, only a single sleeve of the yellow undershirt remaining. I lifted my hand and lightly ran my fingers over the dried, now peeling blood on my cheek.

Gross.

The door pushed open. I looked up, blinking slowly, my eyes sorta adjusting to the harsh light streaming into the room. Though it would be pretty cool if I I had a pair of sunglasses on me or something. Even if I would look like a total dumbass for wearing something like that indoors.

Katsu stood in the doorway, a bundle of yellow daffodils in his hand. He gave me a gentle wave, sheepish smile on his lips. "Hey."

I raised a brow and tilted my head to the side. I didn't know if it was a coincidence they were yellow, but it made the sight of them a little more bearable. "Flowers?"

Katsu walked over and passed them to me, before sitting on the end of my bed, totally ignoring the plastic hospital chair to my left. Not that I blamed him. Those things were uncomfortable as hell.