Sadie

"Audrey, I'm not gonna eat that!" I laugh at my best friend who wants me to eat the foreign candy that she got from Europe. We're hanging out in the library during our free period, clearly trying to amuse ourselves as much as possible because we're always busy with homework during this time.

"Sadie, stop being such a doofus! Just try it. Here comes the choo choo train!" Audrey moves the candy towards me like a train in motion. I shake my head but eventually give in because I know she won't stop unless I try it.

"Okay, okay fine!" I place the candy into my mouth and automatically make a sour face. I swallow the candy because the nearest trash can is near the librarian and she's very judgemental.

"Sadie! Look who's passing by!" Audrey harshly whispers next to my ear to make me look. She tries turning me around to see who it is.

"Audrey, it's too early in the morning for this!" I complain as I turn my head over my shoulder when I see my ex-best friend Layla with her new beau, Tom.

The three of us were best friends the previous year. It was Audrey, Layla, and me against the world. Until, Layla met Tom and Brianna and now it's Audrey and me, against Layla and Brianna. Tom is your typical teenage boy who sleeps during class and doesn't pay attention to anything.

"We should get going to class, time for our daily walk?" I asked while I attempt to change the subject, trying not to pay attention to them.

"Of course, it is 10:13 anyways." Audrey packs up her backpack and we walk beside each other out of the library.

We link arms down the hallway and walk each other to class. I just switched into a different class and today is my first day. Audrey and I do our handshake and parted ways from each other. As I walk into my new class, I scanned the room for any friends that I could have in here. I spot Layla sitting at the table in the center of the room.

"Sadie! Sit with us!" She calls me over. I notice how Layla is sitting with her boyfriend, Tom. I know that Tom isn't good for her, but I sit with them anyways. This is going to be interesting. I know it's going to take me a lot of strength to be patient while I sit with them. I only hope that the teacher switches up the seats every once in a while because I don't know how long I can last with tweedle-dee and tweedle-dum.

This class is filled with people in my grade who probably don't know who I am, or they don't like me. I see Peyton sitting on the wall, talking to some of her friends. I wish I could go over to her and pull up a chair but I already made eye contact with Layla and I can't turn away now.

"Hey... guys... What's up?" I ask awkwardly, placing my backpack next to my feet.

"Nothing much, so glad you're in this class now!" Layla shrieks as she hugs me. I try to hide my surprised face by quickly smiling, and hugging her back.

"Uh-huh, oh yeah. I'm so glad." How long are we going to keep hugging for?

"I know you're nervous, but don't worry." She lets go and stares at me. I don't know if she's trying to reassure me, but it doesn't help.

"Worried? I'm not worried. I'm just in a class full of people who I'm pretty sure don't like me." I look around the room, feeling burning eyes on me. I'm going to have an interesting year in this class.

"That's crazy! Tom likes you. Right, Tom?" Layla hit Tom on the arm, interrupting his slumber on his desk. What else is new? I endeavor to hide my expression in my face by trying not to laugh, but failing with a strange chuckle.

"Why'd you wake me? I like everyone, okay?" Tom mumbles and then goes back to sleep.

"Good morning class! Let's get out our packet and complete the first five pages." The teacher says cheerfully to the class.