Prologue

This is my first ever wattpad story. I apologize if it seems a bit rushed out. Now onto the story!

"Yo! Yo! I think I see it! Yeah! It's right up there", Kendall said excitedly. After hours of wandering through the woods, hearing voices and seeing shit they only saw in movies, they finally reached their destination. The notorious Monroe House.
"It's bigger then I thought", Wayne said.
"Wasn't the dad like a business man or something", Carmen asked.
   Kendall turned and walked backwards, "I think he was just a farmer. I heard he had one of the best crops in the whole area".
"Along with some 'unique' purchases on the side. Speaking of which, how many bodies do you think we're walking over"?
"Can you not ask that now"?
"Just wandering".
    Amidst the conversation, Justin trailed behind the small group. His eyes traveled from the house, to the barn, the old tree with the gravestones, and the woods. He shuddered. The strange voices and weird shapes in the dark already had him on edge.
    Then Wayne has to go and make that statement. He looked down at his feet as he walked. 'How many bodies do you think we're walking over'? The question replayed in Justin's head over and over again until he came to a stop. 'Please, God', he thought. 'Don't let a hand pop out and grab me. That's all I need'.
    He shook his head and picked up the pace. He didn't need to worry about that now. He just happened to glance at the barn a final time and saw what appeared to be a light. It was faint but it was there. It even flickered off the walls like a small flame. Time seemed to stop as a shadow came into view on the wall.
    Justin didn't realize he was running until he bumped into his sister. The group stumbled to a halt and whipped around at their youngest member, whose eyes were still glued to the barn. Carmen shifted her gaze in between her brother and the barn.
"What's wrong"? She asked. Justin shakily pointed his light toward the decaying building.
"I-I-I saw a light. In the barn. T-T-Then a shadow. You didn't see it"?! Justin sputtered out.
   The rest of the group  turned toward the barn and expected the light to be burning as bright as ever in the dark. It wasn't. Kendall let out a laugh of excitement. "Alright, guys turn on those cameras! We just might catch something"!
    Wayne rolled his eyes, "Or it's living, breathing people and they're screwing with us"! Wayne barely finished his sentence before Kendall went bounding up to the barn, camera pointed forward as he explained the situation into the lens.
    Wayne huffed and fast walked to catch up to Kendall. Carmen turned to Justin, who was still wide-eyed. She gently grabbed his arm.
"Stay close to me". She said, as she led him toward the building. Once they caught up, Kendall was inside, calling out to anyone or anything that was in there. Wayne panned his own camera around, half expecting to be pounced on in the dark. Carmen reluctantly turned her own camera on.
"Do you know where the light was coming from, bud"? Carmen asked Justin.
Justin pointed to a hook on the wall. "There".
   The group looked to where the youngest member was pointing.
    There on the hook was a busted and burned out lantern. Wayne spoke up. "Well. That lantern used to work, but it sure as shit doesn't anymore. Could you have imagined it, dude"?
     Justin just stared at the skeleton of a lantern. He shook his head faintly.
"Maybe. I don't know. No, I couldn't have. I swear to God I saw a light and then a shadow passed by it. I saw it on that wall! Or maybe it wasn't a 'shadow' per-say. Maybe it was a shadow figure. Christ, man, I don't know". Justin walked off, gripping his hair. Carmen powered off her camera and ran after him.
    Wayne powered off his own camera and called Kendall over.
"Can you turn that off for a minute", he asked, gesturing to the rolling camera pointed at him.
"Sure", Kendall responded by pretending to hit the button, then just simply kept the still rolling camera by his side.
"Yo. We need to get him out of here, dude. Like, now. That kid is about to lose it". Wayne said.
"And miss this golden opportunity? So he got spooked. Look, Carmen's calming him down", Kendall assured.
"Do you even hear yourself right now? Justin is in no condition to do this, man. If we take him anywhere near that house he'll flip. Carmen is already preparing to get him out of here".
"How do you know that"?
"Says the way she ran after him".
     Wayne was growing increasingly agitated with Kendall's stubbornness.
     Kendall sighed, "Ok, how 'bout this? We split off. I check out the house, you continue in the barn, and they can check out the tree"?
     Wayne let out a dry laugh. "Oh! Even better! A tree where people were hung and buried at should calm him down flawlessly. Why didn't I think of that"?
"It'll only be for fifteen minutes. Then we'll get the hell outta here and never have to come back", Kendall stated.
    Wayne huffed. He hated the idea of having to prolong Justin's discomfort. He turned to the two siblings, who overheard the ridiculous idea Kendall came up with. Before Carmen could protest Justin nodded, "I can do it. So long as I don't have to go in that house or back in the barn".
    Kendall grinned, "That's totally fine! Leave that to me and Wayne. We'll meet by the tree in fifteen. Good luck"! He shot the group a thumbs up and ran towards the house. Wayne shrugged and continued to explore the barn as Carmen and Justin headed for the tree. Carmen stopped him.
  "You don't have to go near it if you don't want to. You can wait right here and I'll look around it".
Justin shook his head, "No it's ok. I can do it. I promise".
    Carmen hesitantly lead him over to the tree and powered her camera back on. She filmed all around the dead tree and the seven crumbling grave stones at it's base.
"I thought the mother was burned in the center of town", Justin wondered.
"She threatened to make the curse a hundred times worse if she wasn't buried alongside her family".
"Worse? It's already awful enough, how much worse could it have been"?
"Not sure I wanna find out".
     Ten minutes dragged by without incident. Somehow that was more terrifying then something actually happening. They were just about to walk away when they heard a distant laugh come from the woods. They froze. Carmen shushed her brother and angled the camera in the direction the laugh came from.
"Hello"? She called. Nothing.
     Out of nowhere another laugh came from the grave stones. The siblings exchanged a look and scurried towards the barn.
"Wayne", they called. "Hey, man, we gotta get the fuck out of here"! Carmen shouted. As if by magic, Wayne rounded a corner just as pale and wide eyed.
"Let's go! Let's go"! He shouted. They called for Kendall to get the hell out so they could go. Nothing. Impatient, the group ran for the house. They called again. Still nothing.
"You guys wait here. I'll go get him" Wayne said as he bounded inside, calling for Kendall. They could hear Wayne's yelling echoing from inside until it came to an abrupt stop.
  "Wayne", Justin called.
"Wayne!? This isn't funny"! Carmen shouted. "Shit! Justin, bud, I gotta go get em'! I'll be two minutes tops, then we're outta here". Justin grabbed her arm, "Let's just go now! We can send help for them"!
"We can't just leave them behind and you know it. Two minutes"! Carmen pressed a quick kiss to his forehead and ran inside. Justin wanted to call after her but the words froze in his throat.
    A small whimper took their place as he turned in a frantic circle. He hugged a support beam and watched the woods intently while he waited. A minute barely went by when he heard  his sister scream.
"Carmen"! Justin called as he ran in after her. He sped through room after room in the destroyed house and shouted for Carmen. He dared not venture up the broken steps for fear of them collapsing. What good would he be for his sister if he had two broken legs? 
    He kept shouting until his voice grew hoarse. No response ever came. Justin crumbled to the floor and cried. 'They were just here! Where the hell could they have gone'?! He thought frantically. Before he could fully breakdown, a creak of the floorboard sounded behind him. He perked up, hopeful.
"Car....", he whipped around expecting his sister to be standing there. Instead he was met with the grizzly sight of a young boy his age smiling down at him with a wild look in his bright blue eyes. He looked as if he was from the 1890s and had the appearance of an all out zombie. His clothes were tattered, his hair disheveled and hanging in his face, with a dark bruise along his neck. 
    The teen was so frozen he couldn't even muster a scream. It wasn't until the boy's smile formed into a grin, showing off broken and rotten teeth as his eyes went from bright blue to a soulless white, is when a scream managed to escape his throat. The creepy boy lunged at him and covered his mouth.
     Justin stared at the boy's soulless eyes with terror filling his veins as he raised a bloody finger to his lips.

Btw, you guys can imagine the characters in this story as whoever you want. I was to lazy to make a cast list 😂😂.