chapter one

The warm breeze flitted up my shirt as I escaped Foam for another day, currently the coffee shop I worked at. Michael had dismissed me early, due to the face that we were dead, once again.

  The business had indeed picked up so much since I started performing there weekly, but he figured it had to be more, people were only coming for the performances. We were running out of ideas by this point.

  I smiled as I popped on my sunglasses and let my arm drape across the open window, driving home to see the most perfect human anyone could ever imagine.

  Dean Gates was currently living with me and my family. Picture the most attractive, charming, sweet, funny guy you can think of. That's Dean. I couldn't believe he was mine.

 By family, I meant my sister, Emma Owens, with her newly dyed light blue hair, although it's so hard to pull off, she made the blue look good, almost like it was made for her. My mother, Anne. Recently forgiven for her harmful acts, has been greatly making amends with anyone she comes across, has also just finished her time at the group home, and gladly taken back home.

  She's really changed, and it's for the better. Everything was perfect.

  Charlie Gates was around, too. But she was more involved in finding somewhere to express herself, she recently got interested in art, and she would paint her walls and her ceilings to show her expression. She had a passion for it. Plus, she was good at it. 

  I glanced down at my new tattoo, covering my wrist with its shape, an anchor. Dean really liked this new tattoo, and he was also thinking about getting a new one, although he has yet to act on that yet.

  As I drove down the long highway towards home, the wind blowing softly against my face, I thought about the moving truck I had seen early that morning, there was an older woman moving things into the home across the street from me but never paid them any mind. I expected another old couple, possibly retired, and eager to join a quieter neighborhood.

  I hope they didn't mind my relationship, nobody else on our little street seemed to care about the public affection we sometimes shared. 

  We also had a bigger secret, our little cabin deep in the woods, out of anyone's range. A beautiful secret.

   I pulled into the driveway, the gravel crunching underneath my tires. I tucked my keys into my jeans pocket and jumped out. I walked at a slow pace towards the home, listening to the birds in the trees nearby, the crickets making their call across the lawn. 

  "I'm home!" I yelled out into the large house and rolled my eyes. I was starting to sounds like one of those men on those old 50s shows. I have to admit, "I love Lucy" was an absolute gem. I laughed out loud to myself. 

  "What's funny?" I heard his voice before I could raise my head up quickly enough to see him. He smiled as our eyes met, and he descended the stairs as he spoke. 

  "Dean.." I breathed, and he chuckled, throwing his arms around me. He smelled of green apple, his wet hair flicked me in the face.

  "You had a shower without me?" I pouted playfully, he giggled and swatted my arm.

  Anne came around the corner then, oven mitts on her hands, "I've missed baking. I've made chocolate chip cookies! Care for one? They're fresh out of the oven." She asked. Louis smiled and grabbed me by the hand, pulling me towards the kitchen. 

  Dean rushed over to the island where the platter of cookies sat, they were still warm, my mouth watered just looking at them. He popped one in his mouth, then his eyes went back into his head. He gave Anne a thumbs up. She laughed and pushed the tray towards us, "Help yourselves."