Chapter 1

"Oh! If I just had wings!" 

The acrobatic elven girl was balancing gracefully on the sturdy vane on top of the Lookout Tower, the tallest structure in the royal palace.

She held her arms straight out from her body, feeling the wind blow softly, ruffling her long hair.

The sun was shining, it was a beautiful day after several days of rain.

The casual pose she struck as she basked in the rays attested to her flexible limbs and natural balance.

Anastasia Roogervald was a princess of a race of elves known as the paleface whites.

Recently turned eighteen years old, with a lithe, graceful form, her wild white hair matched her face in color.

With ears long and pointy, it was easy for her to pick out low noises and court gossip.

A small nose, generous lips, and a perpetual, mischievous twinkle in her eyes gave her a ravishing beauty that all the young men of the courts would kill each other over in order to take her hand in marriage.

Not that she cared. Anastasia or "Stasia" as she insisted on being called by everyone except Terrina, planned on never getting married. 

Nope, not for her. 

"Marriage is for pussies."

She clapped her hand over her mouth, shocked she would say such a bad word. If her father heard her say that!

By the giants of Rothmeer she'd be grounded for a month, why she-

"ANASTASIA!" 

Anastasia glanced down, feeling vertigo as she did. Why did she come up here? Oh yes, it was because she wished she were a fairy. A beautiful, loving fairy. 

Anastasia imagined delicately beating her wings, buzzing about the palace, cheerfully getting the ball for the young ones when it got stuck on the roof of the marble buildings they used as houses. 

Why, she could fly so high in the sky that-

"ANASTASIA!"

She finally realized she was looking at her nanina, Terrina. Ah, dear Terrina, who was so concerned, so bossy, and so.....boring!

Because Stasia was a royal princess, she was assigned a nanina until she turned twenty-four.

A nanina had a basic job: keep after a princess's every want and need. 

If Stasia said she wanted an apple crispy peach pie, Terrina got it immediately.

If Stasia wanted to go to the nearby river or pool to swim, they went at once, dropping everything.

This made it so Anastasia was an impatient young woman who seldom tended to think of others. 

Least of all her nanina, who looked worriedly up at her charge.

"ANASTASIAAAAA!" Terrina screamed. "GET DOWN BEFORE YOU GET HURT!"

"Allright!" Stasia was done up here anyway. Besides, she was ready for some licorice tea.

***

"Promise me you will never do that again." 

"Fine, fine. I promise." Stasia said sulkily. She crossed her fingers though.

She had just turned eighteen yesterday and was feeling frisky with her newfound freedom as an adult.

Even though she was considered grown, the elves did not allow one to participate in politics until age twenty-four because they had to be trained in, which typically took six years.