Chapter Thirty-one

Her paws barely touched the grass as she skidded past the thin streams. Her long, calico pelt was slicked back from how fast Swiftpaw ran, and her ears flattened against her head as she ran. It had been three days since the night Juniperberry visited her, and Blizzardtail has been working Swiftpaw down to the bone. Three laps a day around the territory, then hunting, and then taking care of the elders. But today, she would be engaging in some battle training.

Just up ahead, where bent grass and tilting willows were, she could hear the afternoon patrol's voices as she neared. Easily, she picked out the voices of Carptooth, Heronflight, Whitefish, and Mosspelt. I hope I don't bump into them... She wished, before she could hear them and their paw prints breaking on the fallen willows. They were making their way over to where she was running. Swiftpaw was just about done with her three laps, and she would need to meet her mentor at the training clearing. But the patrol was interfering, crossing her path antiparallel.

But she smirked, and sped up even more. A plan sparked in her mind, as she sped past tall grasses, making them sway in her presence. Swiftpaw studied the obstacles in front of her, narrowing her eyes at the fallen willow trunk ahead. The trunk was only a tail length away from the path of the patrol, but Swiftpaw knew she could make it.

Her front paws now stepped unto the trunk, before her hind paws rested upon the willow. With great momentum and force, she pushed herself up in the air, a proud glint in her eyes. She soared above the patrol, a great height. Swiftpaw purred pridefully, glancing down at the patrol below her.

The look on Heronflight's face was hilarious, his mouth open and his eyes wide. His expression was shared with Mosspelt and Whitefish, but Carptooth didn't even recognize her! Swiftpaw flew over them, and easily landed unto her paws. At that moment, Swiftpaw felt like a leaf, spiralling and flying in the leaf-fall wind, graceful as it should be.

Before Heronflight could say anything, Swiftpaw immediately took off. I don't want any trouble from that lump! She thought, her tail bushing slightly. Swiftpaw dove into the tall grass that was adjacent to the Training Clearing, and laid down low to listen to that patrol.

"I can't believe Blizzardtail is training her like a DriftClan cat," Heronflight hissed, "It's so disrespectful that he's making her run rather than swim!" Swiftpaw growled under her breath and her claws unsheathed. I'll make sure that you won't speak anymore, she thought sourly, before her ears caught the sound of Whitefish's voice. "Heronflight, that is not very nice to say. She's a fast apprentice, maybe Blizzardtail has a plan to use her against DriftClan?" I am relieved that there are some good cats in TideClan who don't judge, but I don't want Whitefish to get bashed on for it. Swiftpaw arose from her hiding spot, before once again darting away to the training clearing.

The calico she-cat barged right into the training clearing, leaping over some fallen willows and her paws landing on the sand. She could see Blizzardtail in the center, assisting Sparkclaw and Acornpaw. It looked as though Acornpaw was practicing some battle moves as well. Dear StarClan, why did Blizzardtail choose Acornpaw to train with me?

Shaking her pelt, free of any grass or loose mud, Swiftpaw approached them. "Ah, there you are, Swiftpaw. You came a bit earlier than yesterday," her mentor meowed once his eyes rested on her. Proudly, he beamed, "You're becoming faster each day." Swiftpaw's pelt felt warm, and her eyes glinted in pride.

"Hi there, Swiftpaw!" Acornpaw let out a purr as he now sat down, his pale eyes showing an emotion of warmth. But Swiftpaw didn't return it, but rather, she meowed back in a positive tone, "Hi, Acornpaw!" Her tail now curled upwards, and her eyes now went to her mentor.

Blizzardtail had waited patiently before he told her, "Are you ready to begin battle training?"

"Sure!" Swiftpaw squealed excitedly. Now I can finally learn how to fight! The mottled tom lashed his tail as he motioned her to follow him, away from Acornpaw and Sparkclaw, to Swiftpaw's relief. He led the two towards a young willow tree that had some white mushrooms growing near it's roots. Swiftpaw couldn't remain still, and she paced slightly when they stopped.

He then turned to face her, a serious expression showing on his face. "I want to tell you that before we begin battle training, I guarantee that your legs will give you a big advantage than most cats. You will be faster, and possibly, even more stronger. But this doesn't mean you disobey the warrior code and kill relentlessly or use your power to govern what you want. I'm telling this to you now because there will be the day that you will be given the choice to kill. Killing a cat isn't easy, especially with their blood that stays on your paws." His blue eyes narrowed, and Swiftpaw narrowed her eyes as well. "Blizzardtail, I'm not a murderer."

"I know, but don't underestimate the chances. I had my fair share of guilt." The words he said made Swiftpaw freeze to ice. Her tail bushed up, and her ears perked up in shock. Blizzardtail has killed cats, before... But I don't want to kill, or even think of it. The prophecy flashed in her head, and Swiftpaw felt her heart beat rapidly. Maybe I have to kill.

________

I haven't updated in forever because school began for me! Thank you all for waiting patiently!

-Morgan