Chapter 1

Merlin didn't know what he had expected, becoming a professor at Camelot University. But his mom, Gaius, Freya, and even Will insisted on Merlin getting the job. And so, Merlin went for it, and after a couple of job interviews and moments of crippling anxiety, he got the job.

Merlin had taught Arthurian History, a subject Merlin was quite fond of, since that was where his namesake was from. At least, that's what Hunith told him, anyway.

He was pacing around his flat at 5:30 AM, getting ready for the first day of school. He had made sure he didn't forget anything, stuffing it all into his brown shoulder bag. Merlin looked into the mirror, straightening his red tie and trying his best to fix his hair, making sure that at least most of his dark hair would remain flat. He smiled briefly at his reflection, his own striking blue eyes staring back at him, before leaving his flat, making sure to lock the door.

Merlin made his way out of his apartment building and got to the Uni by train, making sure to pick up some coffee from a local café on the way there. And when he finally got to Camelot University, the sight of the campus had to make Merlin keep from gaping like a bewildered idiot. To say that the campus was large,  definitely was an understatement. How the hell was he going to find his way around? Anxiety started to bubble up inside him, until he heard a familiar voice.

"Merlin?"

The young man turned around, smiling at the old man bounding toward him.

"Gaius! Thank god. You showed up at the right time. I was afraid I was going to get bloody lost on campus," Merlin told him, relieved. Gaius smiled.

"No worries, Merlin. I'll show you which building your office is located, since it's on the way to the infirmary. I am the campus nurse, after all," Gaius smiled softly and started making his way through campus, his nephew following short behind, blue eyes darting all around, taking in the new sights.

They stopped at a building. It was made up of red brick, a beige sign above the entrance saying "Humanities Department". Gaius patted Merlin on the back.

"You'll be fine, Merlin. Good luck," his uncle said before leaving down the concrete walkway to the infirmary.

Merlin took a deep breath and checked his watch. 6:30 AM. He walked up the steps and stepped inside the building. He pulled out his mobile out of his pocket, looking at the email he was sent by Uther. Office Room 105. He peered down the hallway. Shouldn't be too hard to find, the new professor thought to himself, before focusing on the room numbers, checking his mobile in his left hand, his coffee in his right, too occupied to focus on what was directly in front of him.

It was only then when he bumped into a red figure he would snap to attention, his coffee spilling all over the person's shirt. Merlin's jaw dropped.

"I-I... I'm so sorry!" Merlin managed to say, the figure, who was a pompous blonde man, blue eyes glaring at him, scowling.

"Watch it, will you? It's the first day. I could get you fired in an instant," the blonde growled.

Oh. So the man was a prat. Just what Merlin needed.

"Listen, mate. It's my first day, this is a big bloody campus. I'm only trying to find my office and I wasn't watching where I'm going. I'm sorry," Merlin spat.

The blonde let out a huff, "I'm not your mate."

Merlin rolled his eyes.

"Whatever. Prat," he responded hastily, brushing past him and finally entering his office, the blonde gaping in shock.

Merlin placed everything onto his own desk. God that blonde was irritating. Who even was he anyway? And why did he have to feel so... entitled to act like a royal pain in the arse? Merlin thought, scowling at him thinking about that idiot and their encounter in the hallway.

"You know, what you did, was pretty stupid, but at least you showed him," a feminine voice called out behind him, startling Merlin out of his thoughts. He turned around, facing a short dark skinned woman with beautiful dark curly locks, smiling up at him.

"You... You saw that?"

"Yep. It's alright though. I won't say anything, I swear!" She squeaked, putting her hands up, "to be fair, it was right outside of the English department office," the woman said, pointing to across the hall. "Oh! I forgot to introduce myself, sorry. I'm Gwen. Gwen Smith. The English teacher across the hall," she told him, smiling fondly still.

"Merlin. Merlin Emrys. The new Arthurian History teacher," he told her, holding out a hand for her to shake. And she took it.

"You know. Arthur really deserved that. Being the dean's son really makes him act so spoiled and arrogant," Gwen told him, letting go of his hand.

"Wait. He's the dean's son?"

Uther bloody Pendragon's son.

"Yes. You didn't know, Merlin?"

Merlin smiled sheepishly, rubbing the back of his neck, "Maybe..."

Gwen laughed, "Oh, Merlin. Regardless, you showed him what's what. The History department needs someone like you."

Merlin blinked, "Wait. Gwen. You're telling me, that prat is in my department?"

Gwen gave him a sympathetic smile, and patted his shoulder, nodding, "Yes."

Merlin gritted his teeth with annoyance and checked the time on his watch yet again. 7:46 AM. He had to get going to class, which started at 8. He'll deal with that royal prat later, trying to push the thought of the arrogant blonde to the back of his mind.

"Gwen. I have to get to my class. Do you know where lecture hall A is?" He asked, grabbing his lesson plans and shoulder bag, getting a nod from Gwen in response.

"I'll show you."

Gwen led Merlin to the lecture hall, which was on the second floor of the building.

"This is it. Good luck, Merlin. I'll see you around later!" The woman smiled at him and gave him a little wave before taking her leave down the corridor. Merlin took a deep breath.

Here we go, he thought to himself before pushing open the oak doors of the lecture hall.