~1

I looked over at my clock, 3:37.....again. I should introduce myself I am Chandler, like the one from Friends but I am female. Yep, my parents named me after a character on a show. Now I should explain why I am up this late, well to tell you the truth it is because of this 8 letter word that I despise, insomnia. If you don't know what that is, it is basically a sleeping disorder. Most people would have a reason, for them getting this, me on the other hand. I have no clue. My parents found out about it and took me to a therapist, and she was really nice, but nothing worked. Over the years, my parents got super busy, they thought everything with me was ok, but it wasn't. I didn't tell them that I still was unable to sleep, they didn't notice I was using make-up to cover the bags, they were just to busy.

I got dressed in a sleeveless plain black shirt, and put flannel over it, tossing on a pair of shorts. I put my old red converse on and headed out the window, my mom won't be awake for another few hours, like usual. I start walking down, the road I have been many times before. When I finally got to my destination, I opened the door and heard the familiar sound of ringing, I smiled a bit. This place was like my second home, I went into the back of the store, like I do every night. I grabbed a large slushy cup, and filled it up with blue raspberry. 

"Hey Chandler" Pete said grinning at me softly. Pete is the sweetest old man, I have ever met. He is basically my second father, he knows pretty much everything about me.

"Hey, Pete" I smiled softly. Pete has been here ever since I started coming here, I remember it like it was yesterday.

~ Flashback

I looked back at the clock, 4:13 ugh. I started getting ready, not sure why, but it was like my feet were guiding me. I climbed out the window, trying to make the smallest amount of noise. As soon as I was on the ground, I started walking along the sidewalk, I just don't understand why I am not scared. I thought confused. It was dark and there was no cars in sight, the only light coming from the tall lamp posts which were scattered along the sidewalk every few feet. I came across this small gas station, I checked my pockets and turns out I have $5, might as well get something. I pushed the door open, heard the small ringing of the bell on the door. I went to the back, and grabbed a pack of Twizzlers's, then went up to the register and was greeted with a slightly old man. He had blackish-grey hair, with kind bright blue eyes which were behind a thick pair of reading glasses on his slightly crooked nose. He was wearing a grey shirt with a brown coat.  

"Hello, is this all I can get you?" He questioned kindly. I nodded slightly. He smiled and rung everything up. "Do you mind if I ask you a question?" He asked with a slightly curious eye. 

"Sure" For some reason, I felt like I could trust him. He looked hesitant at first.

"Why are you here so late?" He questioned still looking a bit hesitant. I looked at him, wondering if I should tell him the truth or not.

"Couldn't sleep" I shyly said. He nodded like he understood. I made my way to the door, just as I was about to walk out, he called after me.

"Love, you know, your not the only one who has this problem" He started sounding like he completely understood what I had said "I am here every night, if you want to talk I am here. An I also get a bit lonely so late, it would be nice to have some company." He said softly. I smiled softly and nodded, he seemed like a really sweet man, and I could at least have someone to talk to.

~ End of flashback

I have been coming here for the last 3 years, and Pete has been there every single day. "Is that all?" Pete questioned with a wink, causing me to laugh.

"Yep" I said, still laughing a bit.

"Anything new goin' on?" He asked casually.

"The usual" I answered. His mood drops as soon as I answer.

"Still fighting?" He questioned looking a bit glum. I nodded slightly, the past few years, my parents have been fighting, they decided about a year ago that it was time to get a divorce, but still they continue to argue. My mom hasn't really told me about why they started fighting, I can't help but be curious of course, but I believe she will tell me when she's ready. I personally am fine with it, my father was kind of crap to begin with, never was home, never really even talked to us when he was home, he was a very discreet, but my mom is blaming it all on herself and it sucks to see her sad. 

Pete and I continued to talk, he asked me how school was going.  I asked him about his date with Mary, he told me it didn't end very well. 

"Ya know, I could always set you up with my mom, your only what, four years older than her?" I smirked with a wink. Pete had recently turned 47, and hadn't been married in 12 years, he caught his wife cheating on him with some young college kid. He didn't really go into much detail on what happened, but I didn't push. 

"I really appreciate it Chandler, but I think I'll call it quits on this whole dating thing for a while." Pete said with a sad smile. Pete then looked down at his watch, and looked back up to me. "It's time to go kiddo" he sighed. I groaned which caused him to laugh.

"Bye Pete" I said while walking out the door.

"Bye" He called out. The sun was just coming out as I was walking back to my house, the feeling of the morning breeze made me smile a bit. When I finally got home, I climbed back up through my window, where I laid in bed, wishing I could sleep.