Prologue

The End of The Beginning

It was done. The kingdom was safe, Arius and his men had either been captured or killed. Yet she sat in what was to be her bedchambers, mourning her loss. Angry that her choice had been taken away from her, but yet still overjoyed that the people she had come to love were free of the tyranny that they had endured for decades.

Brushing away angry tears, the young woman corrected her posture, and gripped the simple black and stained silver brush. She didn't have time to dawdle, her coronation would only be days away at the least. If she was lucky a month or two.

Much of the small country needed to be fixed up. Rundown buildings and destroyed farming lands needed to be repaired. There were bandits plaguing one of the small farming towns. She wanted to get at least most of the kingdom fixed before she took the crown.

A weary sigh escaped her, "So much to do in so little time. "

With a shake of her head, the young woman began to brush her tangled fire red hair. A soft smile made its way to her mouth as she gazed at her long hair. Physically she was similar to her mother, a slender build, red-hued hair, pale skin, and a button nose.

She had gained her father's sarcastic personality, lips, strategic thinking, and realistic views. Her hand paused, as her door opened and a head peeked in. Glancing over her smile got bigger, it was one of her brothers.

Zion her partner-in-crime, general hooligan and prankster. His soft rich voice rang through the room, "May I come in, my queen?"

His tone was teasing, but she frowned and huffed."Only if you stop with my queen, shit."

Zion gave an over-exaggerated pout, then grinned and chuckled, "Cool down sis."

He sobered under her withering glare, "How are you feeling, big sis?"

Shoulders slumping, the nearly twenty-year-old woman sighed. "Well the civil wars ended, but there's still so much to do. And In four days' time, I have to decide the fate of six people."

Zion placed a hand on one shoulder, "Relax sister, all will be well. I know you hate it, but remember what mum said? A queen must put her people first. With that in mind, what do you think is the best course of action?"

Closing her eyes, she thought it over. Arius and Thot would have to be executed, their charisma is dangerous. If they were exiled they could simply worm their way into the heart of another kingdom and lead from the shadows. If they were left to rot in the dungeons, they could turn loyal men and spread strife with their lies.

Hrunn and Trerri were similar but for different reasons. Hrunn was a true believer in Arius's cause. While Arius and Thot were the brains, Hrunn was the brawn. If he were simply to be exiled he would easily find a job as a bandit, pirate, or mercenary. All of which could come back to bite her in the ass.

Trerri, old Trerri. She would spend the rest of her days in the dungeons. The youngest of her children would be put in the orphanage, while the eldest would work as servants for a set amount of years. Trerri would have no contact with any of her children, which for a mother was a harsh punishment.

Winn would spend the rest of her days as a servant, with a constant guard and limited chains. She silently hoped the Winn could be saved, maybe if Winn proved herself and changed her ways her chains and guard would no longer be needed.