chapter 1.

daia had spent two hours of her day getting ready to go on a date with her boyfriend, nicolas. two hours of hair straightening, lash application, leg shaving, outfit picking, the works. so when she sat at the restaurant, across from her boyfriend of two years, tears begging to come out, she wouldn't let them go.

it took her a minute to process his words, the words she'd never imagine hearing from him. the day of their two year anniversary, ended up being the day everything came to an end. don't ask her why, she still doesn't know. the last thing she was able to hear was "we need to break up." after that it was just empty ringing in her ears.

"i found someone else." she swore she felt herself stop breathing. that's when it all clicked. the constant fighting, the secrets, every time she would see him hiding his phone from her, he had cheated on her.

"when?" was all she could say. daia needed to hear it from him and him only, no assumptions, just the truth. her denial secretly hoped that this was one of those stupid couple pranks. but it felt too real, there was too much guilt.

"three months." with that, daia grabbed her purse calmly, put on her jacket, and walked out of the restaurant with every ounce of dignity she had left.

two months later

"you know, you don't have to come with me." daia was apply her lipstick as her best friend brie pouted on her bed.

"what if something happens to you!? you can't keep going out by yourself!" brie was what one would call the 'responsible' friend. she was worried about daia's new antics since her breakup, but no one could stop her. brie has made it her mission to make sure nothing happened to daia while she went out to clubs all the time, even though it wasn't her scene at all.

"come on, we both know you'd rather stay here and watch your shows. i'll be fine i promise." although daia wasn't wrong, brie wanted to go anyway.

the two girls made it to the 'club of the week' as brie called it. the place was packed with sweaty bodies grinding on each other and others puking in corners. it was absolutely disgusting, for brie, but for daia it was an escape. she needed it to forget how shitty she felt. call it a coping mechanism, if you want.

as quickly as they entered, guys swarmed to dance with them and buy them drinks. daia was all for it, immediately heading for the bar, but brie only joined her to get an orange juice.

daia felt bad for brie feeling like she had to come along. she had promised herself that she would take it easy tonight. she broke that promise a few hours into their night.

"BRIE I LOVE YOU SO MUCH" daia was now drunk and in a very affectionate mood. she clung onto brie as the latter dragged her out of the club, struggling.

as they walked out, brie stumbled and daia was just about ready to hit the ground when someone caught her, arms wrapped around her.

daia's drunken state was put on blast and she giggled and began playing with the strangers face.

"thank you cute stranger, you saved my life!" she poked his cheek repeatedly, causing him to laugh slightly. brie quickly apologized for her friend's behavior and dragged her away into her car. by the time they got home, daia was fast asleep in the passengers seat, forcing brie to basically carry her to their place.

it was the same routine the next morning, glass of water with two advils on her bedside and saltine crackers. this was all set up for her by her best friend and it never changed.