Lust For Life

"Oh shit," Billy's eyes followed the burgundy BMW flying past the 7-Eleven.

"Pretty boy is in a hurry that's for damn sure," he thought as he quickly shut the gas cap of his midnight blue Camaro. The engine roaring as he sped off after Steve.

It didn't take long for him to see the glow of the BMW's taillights.  He kept a safe distance back to not alert Steve to his presence. Steve would know within a second that Billy was behind him just from the roar of the Camaro, so he couldn't risk it.

After a few minutes of lurking, he saw brake lights and the car turning into the dense Hawkins woods. Is there even a road here?  Billy thought as he turned off the road where he saw Steve's car disappear into the woods.

He turned his headlights off and used the full moon's light to guide him down the brown leaf-littered path; cringing slightly when the low purr of the Camaro would grow from the light push of his boot on the gas pedal.

He eased the brake pedal down when he saw the BMW's lights ahead and shut off his car. He got out, carefully closed the Camaro's door, and grunted when it made a loud click from latching.

He stealthily made his way over toward the lights. The lights that turned off when he was about halfway, leaving him looking at the dim moonlit woods. Not wanting to get lost, he continued in a straight path to where he once saw the lights. 

He came to the small clearing where Steve's car was parked. He looked in the none-tinted windows and didn't see Steve. Then, a cough broke the silence that only slightly startled Billy. He spun looking for the source; however, he didn't see anyone or anything. Another cough caught his attention making him realize that the sound came from above. Looking up, he saw the back of the newly installed "Welcome to Hawkins Indiana" billboard with a lonely Steve Harrington at the top.

He made his way over to the base, found the latter, and began to climb. Since the structure was new, he didn't have to worry about it creaking under his weight. Which was a relief as he was tired of being stealthy.

Once at the top, Billy saw the road cutting through the wood leading towards the glow of the Hawkins 4th of July fairgrounds. He could see why Steve was up here; His legs hanging over the front of the billboard. Leaned back just a little, with his hands propped to keep his upper body elevated.

"Hey, what're you doing up here?" Billy questioned. 

"Jesus Billy, you scared the shit out of me!" Steve glared at Billy. Billy barked out a laugh, climbed up all the way, and plopped down next to Steve.

"It's not funny Hargrove, I could've fallen off and died," Steve grumbled.

"I wouldn't let that happen pretty boy," Billy explained. He only received a scoff from a crossed armed Steve as a reply.

"What are you doing here?" Steve asked.

"nuh-uh Harrington, I asked first," Billy retaliated.

As Steve turned his head to explain, he was interrupted a boom followed by flash of light. Both boys jerked their heads to the source which was a firework sizzling away above the fair. "That's why..." 

The two watched the show with silence between them; except for the thunder of the fireworks. Roughly a quarter of the way through the show, Billy turned and raised the question, "Is this them shooting off extras?"

For Steve, it was quite obvious that it was the grand show; however, Billy's motionless look told him that Billy was seriously asking.

"No, this is the midnight show" Steve clarified. Billy's face tinged with embarrassment. He mumbled out an "Oh," before quickly turning back to the fireworks.