"𝐨𝐧𝐞" - pilot

these years of school are going to be the worst years of my life.

my alarm rings loudly behind me on my bedside cabinet, and i slam my hand on top of it lazily. i flicker my eyes open, and see what time it is. 08:00. of course it's a monday morning.

i groan into my pillow before ripping the duvet off of my bed before getting up and walking to my calendar on my wall. what was i dreaming about again? right! making some new friends at this arts boarding school, all from different backgrounds and places, and sitting at a table for lunch?

i immediately feel like i'm going to pass out from how sudden i stood up, so i shake my head a little bit to snap out of it. gotta love iron deficiencies.

i grab my sarasa pen, and draw a circle around the 3rd of february. 'welcome to hell' is written inside of the square. thanks for the warm welcome, calendar.

"hey taylor! are you up yet?" i hear my younger sister, tori yell from the bottom of the stairs.

tori is pretty cool once you get to know her, but if you say the wrong thing at the wrong time she will hold that against you for a week. she can go from ecstatic to wanting to kill you in two seconds flat.

"yes, tori, i am awake" i yell back sarcastically, rolling my eyes.
"okay good! you can make the muesli then!" she chuckles. god, not the muesli.
"why can't you do it? i'm making waffles! who even eats muesli?" i reply.
she doesn't respond, so i decide to put on an outfit to wear. can't be bothered taking a shower right now, i will have it tonight when i get to this boarding school place.

i open up my wardrobe to see a small yet comfy selection of travel outfits to wear. from chunky sweaters to sweatpants, i have a wide range of them all. but i choose to put on my boarding school's sweater that they sent me in the mail, and some black leggings. 'widdowsburth arts boarding school' was typed out onto the front, with 'widdowsburth arts' written in a letterman font. love it.

i open my door and trudge down the stairs, to see my dad and sister waiting for me. my sister ended up making the muesli so yay, don't have to make it today, while my dad is reading the paper on his phone. but he looks up at me for a split second...

"oh my god it lives!" he says, shocked.
"thanks, dad." i grumble, as i grab a waffle out of the pantry and throw it into the toaster. i get it in, first try, from the cupboard door. a new high score.

"are you excited for your first day today?" my dad pipes up. i yawn.
"excited is not the word i'd use, but yeah, sure." i explain.
"you get to stay in a dorm with other artsy kids like you! what's not to be excited about?" tori says excitedly.
"because you guys won't be there." i mutter under my breath. they don't hear me, thank god.

"i'm guessing mum had a night shift?" i point out.
"she sure did. but she works very hard and saves many lives." my dad explains.

my mum is a paramedic. she mostly does the night shifts, 9 to 9, so i won't be seeing her this morning. and not for the next six months in person anyway.

"i understand, but i kinda wish she'd be here to wish me good luck, y'know?" i mumble.
"so do i, but you know how the short staffing at the hospital is! the nurses and paramedics don't get paid enough that's why there aren't enough!"
"i know, i know."

my waffle pops out of the toaster, and it gives me a slight heart attack. but i pull it out, doing that one thing where the food is too hot and you make that weird sound when you touch it, like that 'hashshahah' sound, and whip out some cream from the fridge. pop the cap off, shshhshsh that whipped cream on top and grab a fork and knife and sit down at the table next to my sister.

"why do you do that weird 'hashshhahasha' thing when you get an eggo out of the toaster?" tori asks.
"want me to be honest with you?"
tori nods.
"i really don't know."

i stab my fork into the left corner of the waffle, slice it carefully, or try to, because it ends up ripping anyway.
"shit."
tori snorts.
"tor, be nice to your sister." my dad says, without looking up from his phone.
"okay, dad."

~

"ok taylor, this is your last chance. have you got everything?" my dad says before closing the trunk to the model x.
"well, unless tori has taken something out then yeah, i have everything." i reply, side-eyeing tori.
"i swear i didn't take anything!" tori quickly says, waving her hands in defense.
"i was only kidding," i chuckle, as i give my sister a hug. "i'm going to miss you."
"we all know that's bullshit but yeah, i will miss you too." she says into my shoulder. i snort quietly.

tori has been there for me through thick and thin, even though she steals my cereal and takes my crew neck sweaters, i still love her dearly. and it's going to be weird not having someone screaming at me to make the muesli in the mornings.

"i will call you when i arrive!" i say before closing the door of the model x and my dad reversing out of the driveway.

~

a/n: hello and welcome to the first part of a little book series i decided to write!
this is mainly just a boredom buster for me to write when i wake up at 2am wondering what to do with myself lol.
this is the first part, as you can tell. lowercase is intentional, my grammar isn't that bad irl lmao.
i hope you have a great day!

- jules