Chapter One-S1 The Party

"Kat!" She could barely hear her name over the thumping music. She turned to the familiar voice. Sean, her middle brother, was bounding down the stairs. He stopped at the base of the stairs, then waved, beckoning her over toward him.

Kat pressed the red solo cup to her lips taking a quick sip before she tugged on her best friend, Dee's shirt, beside her.

She glanced at Dee, then nodded toward the stairs. Kat couldn't imagine what he wanted; the only time he wanted to talk to her, was when he needed something. It was too early for him to goad her into cleaning up his party, and she was absolutely not going to fetch him another beer, like a dog, he could get it himself, this time she was having fun.

"This better be important." Kat groaned to Dee. Tonight, she and Dee were on the hunt for some cute high school boys and Sean was cutting into their valuable time.

The two swam through the sea of kids; talking, drinking and making out, to Sean. He ran his fingers through his short wavy brown hair as Kat approached.

"Yes?" Kat asked in her high-pitched perky voice. She swayed to the pulsating beat of the same Led Zeppelin song she had heard a hundred times, played at every Garden City party and now had memorized as she waited patiently for an answer.

"Where's Scott?"

"I don't know." She shrugged. She wasn't exactly keeping track of her middle brother. She was trying to enjoy the party, but she had caught glimpses of him. "I saw him walking into the dining room a while ago." Kat loosely threw out her arm and flicked up her finger in the direction of the dining room.

"Alright. Listen, if Steve calls do not tell him about the party." Sean strongly advised as he firmly pointed at her. This was what was so important that he pulled her away from one of the best parties of the summer? This was a conversation for tomorrow, not now.

"What if he asks? I can't lie to him." She readily admitted. She threw her hand out palm up. There was no way she was getting caught lying to Steve and obviously Sean did not want to get caught telling the truth to him.

And yes, truthfully, she did usually tell Steve everything. The two became close after their father died. Steve became more than a parent and big brother, but a best friend that helped her cope with the loss of their dad.

Sean slapped his forehead with his palm and rubbed his eyes with his fingers. Then blew out a deep breath of air between his lips. It was a mixture of minty gum and beer.

"Just give me, or Scott the phone." He cleverly instructed motioning to himself. Kat knew Sean was just trying to avoid getting a long lecture from Steve about throwing a party at the house, but she couldn't understand the big deal.

"Steve isn't going to care about us having a party," Kat crinkled her nose. "He's at college, he probably parties every night." She explained and gave him the look of a know it all, defiant teenager.

But it was true. Sean would be crazy to think that Steve; Mr. Popularity, Mr. Football star is actually sitting in his dorm room every Saturday night. No way! Sean, especially, should know. He was partying right beside Steve every weekend in high school and she would catch bits and pieces of their stories when they bragged about their wild nights.

"Kat! I'm serious, don't tell him, and you know I'll find out. Steve tells me everything and if he asks if mom has been home, tell him she was just around." Sean pressed as he pointed sharply at her.

"Ok! Fine, gees." She conceded throwing her head back and groaning. He obviously wasn't going to give in, so she just agreed, winning her a one way ticket back to the party to complete her mission - boys.