Chapter // One

"Are you sure this is what you want to do for your birthday? I mean, we could always just go to the up and running amusement park, like a normal 16 year old boy would want." I tease my younger brother, Peter, as we walk up to an abandoned amusement park that he's been dying to "investigate". "There's no going back now. Try to catch up!" Peter laughs along as he starts jogging up the fence.

There's a sign outside the broken down admission building that reads, "Blue Moon Parks & Recreation." Parts of the letters are drawn on with graffiti, but you can still read it for the most part. Peter hasn't been able to shut up about this place, so I decided to take him here for his sixteenth birthday. My mom thinks that I was taking him out to eat to reconnect with him, but he convinced me into taking him here instead. I jog to the fence and meet him there.

"C'mon, Hazel! What are you waiting for? Start climbing!" Peter says as he climbs up the wobbly fence. The sun is going down, and I had no idea how much energy Peter had. I haven't seen much of him since I moved out and got my own apartment that's closer to my college. The last time I actually talked to him was about two months ago for my mothers birthday party. I start climbing the fence as Peter hops over the rest.

I plop down on the ground and follow behind Peter as he walks to an old map that's in a case. "There's so much here that was just left behind, you know? All of this..just forgotten." He examines the map and turns to me with his eyebrows raised. "When did you get so interested in abandoned amusement parks?" I laugh and start walking to the entrance. "Shut up. They're super cool. You know, all of this used to make children smile and laugh, and be a place where families bonded, and now it's nothing. No life comes in or out of it, and I think that's pretty damn interesting."

"Wow, my baby brother swears now? Maybe I should start coming by the house more often, you change so fast!" I tease him again, and look at him with wide eyes. He shakes his head and walks along side me as we walk into the main entrance. The ground is all torn up, and everything looks lifeless. It's a big open area, but surrounding it is building that are almost all torn down on the tops, but the bottoms of them look, for the most part, still in tact. Peter is scanning every last inch of the buildings. I pull out my phone and try to take a picture to send to my friend, but I get no connection here. My phones at 30% anyways, so I put it back in my pocket.

"Where to first? We could go see if the rides are still semi decent, maybe check out the old tents? There must be some undiscovered bugs in there or something." Peter jokes. "It's your birthday, you decide." I give him a smile, but he doesn't return it. He lightly nods his head and walks towards the sign that says "rïdes" on it. We walk slowly to that entrance in silence. Peter pushes the gate open and holds it open for me to walk through. The moon lights up the tallest ride, and reflects off the metal. I can see the rust on the ferris wheel from all the way on the ground. "I wonder if it's stable.." Peter says while staring at it.

He starts walking towards it before I can respond with his jaw to the ground. I follow behind him and watch the ground. There's a lot of old pamphlets and advertisements for shows going on at the park. All of the shows are across the park, where most of the tents are. "Just be careful, okay?" I say to Peter as he starts to climb into one of the Ferris wheel seats as I pick up a dated piece of paper. The date at the top of it says October 17, 1976. My eyes widen as I look down to see what the show was for. I look down at the advertisement and see in bolded letters, "LIVE MUSIC! ONE NIGHT SHOW!" Under the title is a picture of three people performing on a stage that has circus tents behind it.

The people on the stage have long hair and are dressed in a stereotypical 70's outfits. I laugh at the picture a drop in down as the wind carries it away. I walk over to the Ferris wheel where Peter is and sit in front of him. He's staring off at the carriages that are hanging over us at the top of the wheel. The wind is making them rock back and fourth, along with the one that we are on. I open my mouth to talk to Peter but I'm cut off by the sound of glass breaking in the distance. My head bolts over to where I thought the sound came from. I look back at Peter, as he remains in the same spot. "What the hell was that?" I say quietly to him as I lean forward. "What are you talking about?" He says as he gets more comfortable on the seat.

"You can't tell me you didn't hear that. It was as clear as day." I say. "I think you're just a little freaked out. You're probably just making it all up in your head." Peter says while he crosses his arms on his chest."Whatever. I'm gonna try to find a bathroom, stay here, okay?" I say as I stand up off the wheel. "Where else would I go?" Peter laughs as he crosses his arms behind his head. I walk to an old concession stand that has an old bathroom next to it.

There's a flickering light in the room, and it smells even worse than I would have thought. I cover my nose as I walk further into the room. Before I can walk any further I'm being pulled back and out of the room. I try to yell, but when I open my mouth nothing comes out.

...

(A/N: hii! It's katie and I've decided to start a new fanfic while I wait to write on my days for Breathing In :-) I hope you guys like it!!!)