one

Hazel, a determined young girl with a heart pounding like an intense drum beat, was darting around the immaculate and pristine grounds of one of the most prestigious prep schools known to the kingdom of Auradon. Her mission was not one of simplicity or leisure; it was of the utmost importance: she had to find the future queen of Auradon, the fiery and enigmatic Mal, who was none other than the strong-willed daughter of the infamous Maleficent.

The school was a complex labyrinth, a maze of winding corridors and countless classrooms, but Hazel was relentless. Her determination was unwavering and her purpose crystal clear. Finally, upon finding her desired target, she saw that their mutual friend, Evie, was already there, gently guiding Mal away to finish the intricate creation of the royal cotillion dress she'd be wearing in the looming days ahead.

Drawing on every ounce of her endurance and courage, Hazel managed to catch up with the girls, placing her hands gently on their shoulders, careful not to startle them. They jumped nonetheless, a visible wave of shock rippling over their faces until they realized it was Hazel who had interrupted them. Relief washed over them like a gentle wave, and their expressions softened into warm smiles.

"I need help," Hazel panted, the words barely escaping her lips in her state of exhaustion.

"Dress or shoes?" Evie queried, her voice as smooth as silk and as calming as a lullaby.

"Neither. I have literally no jewelry for the cotillion and you're the best around," Hazel confessed, her voice vulnerable but honest.

"Okay, well, come to me around 5 and I might be able to squeeze you in," replied Evie, her tone as cool as a summer breeze, a hint of playfulness in her words. Hazel nodded in agreement, her gratitude apparent in her sparkling eyes. With that, she fell back from the two girls, her quest temporarily at an end, her mission partially accomplished. She needed to meet with Mal alone.

However, her being alone was short-lived. No sooner had she stepped away from the girls than she was approached by Ben, the future king of Auradon and her lifelong best friend.

"Do you think Mal is okay?" Ben asked with a sincere frown on his face. His concern for Mal was palpable, his anxiety visible in his shimmering eyes. Hazel followed his gaze towards the future queen who was looking back at the two teens with a mixture of trepidation and anticipation.

"She seems uneasy and wound up," Hazel admitted, her voice barely more than a whisper, echoing the soft rustling of leaves in the wind. "There's a lot of stress on her." Ben nodded in agreement, his face a mirror of Hazel's concern. In response, she gave him a small smile, a gesture of solidarity, and patted his shoulder before she flew off to her quaint little cottage. A gift for her 16th birthday from Ben and his parents. She loved solitude.

Once inside her charming home, she was instantly bombarded by the helpful and enthusiastic fairies helping her with her dress. The young girl giggled as the fairies tickled her, their tiny hands working magic as they diligently started finishing up the dress. All that was on her mind now was taking the baskets of food to the isle, someone had to be finding and enjoying them.

••••••••••

Days passed like fleeting moments and the cotillion drew closer. Both Ben and Hazel found themselves holed up in his spacious office, engrossed in discussions about the various flowers and exotic plants that would be used to decorate the royal cotillion. Normally, Ben was a beacon of energy and enthusiasm, a vibrant ray of sunshine, but today he seemed a bit blue. Hazel, with her keen observation skills, couldn't help but notice the change in him.

Then, like a breath of fresh air, Evie walked in, her radiant presence instantly brightening up the room. But Hazel, always observant and perceptive, noticed the fake smile on Ben's face. Her brows furrowed in confusion as she looked to Evie, her face reflecting the sadness that hung heavy in the air.