chapter one

short i'm sorry
Fuck.
you examined your outfit in the bathroom mirror, biting your lip at how you looked. adjusting the buns in your hair, you peered at a tiny pimple. today was it-- you were going to meet billie eilish. you'd been to a concert sometime during the dsam tour, shitty seats where you couldn't see the stage, a cramped venue barely holding all of the screaming fans.

but this was going to be so much better. after months of working at the neighborhood mcdonald's, you'd scraped together just enough money to crash at a motel 6, to drive up to la in a rental car. most importantly, there was a few thousand dollars for meet and greet tickets to billie's concert. and enough to cover the freak city la clothes you wore, designed by billie herself. a guilty pleasure, 200 dollars foolishly spent. you

"y/n, its gonna be a long drive," your dad yells from downstairs. "if you don't want to get to the meet and greet, i would suggest staying up there."
"ok, dad." you stumble down your condo's stairs in your af 1s. you spray painted them to match your clothes, not wanting to look basic.
"you look really good," your dad says, looking you up and down. you know that he's right; his sense in fashion is better than yours. "i might have to borrow those shorts sometime," he says, looking at the bike shorts that came with the sports bra you purchased on billie's website.
"holy schnitzel," your dad says, glancing at his watch. "you have to go now."
"oh! bye dad," you say, looking into his eyes; they're tearing up. "i'll be fine. i'm not my mom," you mutter, reading his thoughts-- not her again. "i love you forever." you plant a kiss on his cheek.
"call me, ok? stay safe y/n. i love you too," he says, trying hard not to cry. "don't do drugs." he's laughing but you can see the worry on his face.
"i'll call you when i stop for gas," and those are your last words before you go. the drive from here to the concert is supposed to be two and a half hours, but california's unpredictable. you start the engine of the rented honda accord. here we go.