01

Fair

Life isn't fair.

For whatever reason, life always had a cruel, sick or sadistic way of reminding you of that. Whether it be you were born stronger or slower, smarter or foolish, or even impaired in some way. It always had its ways to remind you.

My name is Ruri Midoriya, the younger twin sister of Izuku Midoriya.

And life, that fateful day, decided to choose us as a victim. Just because we are twins doesn't mean we were created equal, because I was born with a quirk. While Izuku was left with nothing.

At the age of four, we realized that undeniable truth; the latest age of someone acquiring a quirk and still nothing had manifested for him while I was pulling things with my mind by the time I was two.

My quirk is like our mother's, an emitter quirk, telekinesis. I'm able to pull things towards me.

Ever since Izuku found out he didn't have a quirk, we slowly drifted apart. That inseparable bond we once shared since birth slowly disintegrated into dust.

---

"Kaachan, wait up! Hurry Ruri we need to keep up!" An ecstatic Izuku called from in front of me grabbing my tiny hand whilst pulling me along.

We had been walking home at the time. The three of us would always walk home together, whether Katsuki liked it or not because we lived near each other. After school, that specific day would be a doctor's appointment to see what was taking so long for Izuku to manifest a quirk.

I would have walked slower that day if I had known.

The suffocating silence that took over the room was unavoidable. It swallowed all of the Midoriyas that evening. "What do you mean doctor? Are you saying that there is no chance?" Our mother sighs.

"I wouldn't keep the poor kid's hopes up." She continues to speak with the doctor. I tune out and look up at my brother from where I sat on the chilly floor. The look on his face was excruciating, so with my tiny hand, I reached out and grabbed his freezing one. He remained unmoving as he stared into the void in front of him.

Maybe if I had ripped him out of that state sooner the downhill spiraling could have been stopped and we might still be close to this day.

"Who is he? This guy has already saved 100 people at least and it hasn't even been ten minutes! This is crazy, I can't believe it!" The computer in the other room had been playing that single clip for hours on end. I almost couldn't stand it anymore.

How could powerful heroes like All-Might exist, while the so few unlucky got left with nothing? I close my eyes trying to focus on the rain pattering against the roof outside to help me sleep. I heard a small click, but I brushed it off as nothing and let myself be consumed by darkness.

This would later become a coping mechanism. And this was the very moment where we started drifting apart.

---

"Hey, Idiot. Why don't you follow me around anymore like Deku?" My dull eyes drift up to Kaachan.

Izuku stopped talking to me ever since the doctor's appointment. "The only reason I followed you was because my brother did, but I don't think he wants to be around me right now." My small voice answers. Kaachan scoffs and sits next to me.

"Who cares what that nerd thinks anyways. I'm the best! You should follow me because I'm awesomer than your brother anyways." He boasts. I laugh for the first time in weeks.