27. We can make it better

Her heart squeezed inside her chest. She felt her insides turning. It felt as if she had misheard it but again her brain being a betrayal reechoed it.

'i will be so happy to make Zalay my daughter-in-law'

What? She was unsure. She truly was perplexed. She looked at everyone, confused. She was expecting herself to mishear it and so she thought that everyone must be still busy in their talk but to her surprise she found them all already looking up at her. But those one person eyes were suffocating her. Those one person eyes - Yashfa.

She blinked a little and then her eyes without her will went to Zumeer. Her heart was so badly crushed to find Zumeer looking at Yashfa just as she anticipated, that you could never find its pieces in the very distant places.

How could she be so selfish to find herself come in between these two? Never, she answered herself.

"Come baita", Mr. Ahmed asked her and she gulped in fear. There was a lump in her throat that she swallowed down. A blur of tears fogged her vision and she looked down but Azeen who was sitting beside her, nudged her. After she was out of her daze, she stood up and went up to sofa where her Mamu was sitting. He patted the place beside him and she sat there. He gently kissed her on her head.

"How is my daughter?" Ahmed asked her.

Yashfa got up and left. Zalay's eyes followed her, "han?" She countered because she couldn't get what her Mamu had asked. She was physically present but mentally lost.

She could see Zumeer staring at the door from where Yashfa just vanished.

Her numbness was turned into conscious when her ears heard her Mamu again ask her, "How are you, Zalay?"

Her senses were back and she looked up at her Mamu. Her gaze bowed down to her lap and she kept staring, "i am okay" she mini whispered for all the energy was drained out of her.

"Very good!" She heard her Mamu appreciate, "Did you hear things loud and clear, my daughter?" He asked her. She could have spoken and asked a thousand of things but all she did was stare at her lap and shake her head.

Azeen who had now taken a seat beside Zumeer whispered to him, "she gonna cry bhai and i am gonna kill you" in return she earned a glare from her brother. However her brother looked tensed.

"Zalay you are mature enough now. I want you to get married to my son but we will not go against your will"

She took a sharp breath in as the words registered to her brain. It took seconds but she was now full conscious of her surroundings. It was happening. She didn't mishear anything. On the very thought of that her throat went dry.

She lifted her gaze from her empty sweating hands and her eyes were met with Zumeer but he abruptly averted his gaze. Hurt swell inside her because all she saw was hatred for herself in those deep blazing eyes. She was probably hallucinating. She just didn't know.

Her scared and rejected eyes turned to her Mamu, "i c-can't" she whispered and a stream of tears was ready to shed. "I cant! —come in between-"

Zumeer head snapped up to her but she was so unaware. He saw her eyelashes wet and he could see she was about to cry. But that wasn't the one thing that rode in his mind - she not willing to marry him did. Sudden fear of losing her awakened him.