The Joker

List of new characters introduced can be found in chapter "Bonus".

Also check out my illustrated version of this story!
* * *

Seraphina

"Hullo? Sera, you there?" John waved his hand in front of Seraphina. "You're really spacey today. What're you thinking about?"

"Uh?" Seraphina looked at John. Should she ask him? What would he say?

John is joker.

She had never seen Arlo acting this way before. John had been acting strangely too, ever since she came back from home.

She had to get to the bottom of this.

"Hey, John... Y-You're not Joker, are you?"

John was startled.

"What?" He almost shouted, looking directly into her eyes. Seraphina avoided his gaze, looking down at her feet.

"M-me, the Joker? Are you serious?"

"Well, yeah. You're right." She did expect this reaction from him. After all, it was just stupid enough to think he'd hurt a fly on his own. "I don't know what came over me."

"I'll say, where the hell did you even get that idea from?"

"It was-" His eyes bore into her skull, they were dangerous.

"-Arlo," she managed to say weakly. "He pulled me aside yesterday."

"What did he say exactly?"

"This thing about you being Joker. Asked me to talk to you about it."

John stepped closer and put his hands on her shoulders, pulling them toward him. She let go of her balance, and bounced against his chest.

"I'm surprised you never noticed it earlier," he said, while his voice cracked.

"I am Joker."

Seraphina was stupefied. She pushed him away and stared at his previously innocent face in which she had put her trust into.

"I'm sorry," he tried to apologise for keeping this from her, but Seraphina wasn't listening.

He played me. He took me to a secluded site and two of his goons ambushed me! They beat me, and told me to act my level.

Lies!

It was John who played Seraphina. Even Arlo was a bit different around John, and this was all after she came back from suspension. Could it be that...

John is the new King.

There was no doubt about it. It was he who beat Arlo at the "secluded site". It was John who bossed Arlo around and made him look after her. He put on a fake cripple face and used others. He was nothing more than a...

"Monster!" Seraphina balled her fist and punched him in the stomach.

"Liar!" She put another blow to his head.

"You're worse than all of the high-tiers." A knee made its mark in John's chest.

"I can explain!" He put his hands in front and motioned for her to calm down.

"No, you can't." It wasn't Seraphina. Someone else said that, and he was right behind them.

It was Arlo.

---* * *---

Your feedback is appreciated, and will help me improve!