⋆Eight⋆

"𝕁𝕦𝕤𝕥 𝕓𝕖 𝕔𝕒𝕣𝕖𝕗𝕦𝕝, 𝕠𝕜𝕒𝕪."

...

"No way! That can't be true!" Millie speaks breathlessly between laughs.

Finn had just told her about his older brother Nick and all the crazy pranks he used to pull. One of them being, when Nick poured tabasco in Finn's mouth while he was sleeping.

Finn chuckles truthfully. "No, I swear he's demented! My throat hurt that entire day."

Millie giggles lightly as she observes her surroundings.

They had been walking for some time now, finding their way onto the trail that would lead them to the top of the mountain. Large trees enclose around them on the path. The sun is strong, trying its best to squeeze itself through the trees and the only sound audible other than the crunching of their feet on the rock path is the harmonic sound of birds chirping as they chase one another through the trees.

Millie exhales deeply, a smirk spreading upon her face. Out in nature, she feels most at ease.

Back home, when stress starts to build, clouding her judgement, her escape is to wander through their nearby parks. Something about seeing the freedom of all creations roaming around, not hindered by annoyances or rages, gives her hope that everything will work out.

Millie is a firm believer that most, if not all, things in life happen for a reason. Even though she feels misplaced in her family and would sometimes rather not exist than try, there must be a reason for all that endeavour. Some sort of light at the end of the tunnel.

Right?

"Hey, you okay," Finn asks Millie softly, noticing the frown that had replaced her once giggly grin.

She jumps at his sudden heartfelt voice, awakening her from her deep thoughts. "Oh, yeah Im fine."

"Are you sure?" he questions, noticing the shakiness in her voice.

Millie exhales deeply, noticing her attempt at covering her worries had failed. She could tell him about all the things that make her life troublesome, knowing he would understand based on his candidness yesterday.
However, Millie doesn't enjoy talking about her feelings especially when it comes to her family. She doesn't want to sound like a brat, complaining even though she gets and has all that she wants.

She wants less. Less stress and pressure to keep up the perfect family reputation. In this case, less really is more to Millie.

Nevertheless, Millie doesn't want to release and deal with all the pent up emotions inside her at this moment. She wants to enjoy this hike with her recently made friend and bunkmate Finn.

And with that, she inhales deeply, smiling as she looks up, facing his worried expression.

"Yes, promise."

-

Millie and Finn continue to talk about anything and everything as they hike up the steep trail. Somehow, they come across the topic of Sadie.
Millie smirks mischievously, thinking of the people in Sadie's group. "You know, I probably shouldn't be telling you this..."