Chapter 1 - running

A.N: Hey everyone, this is my first fan fiction on the fosters so bear with me lol 😂. Anyway just so you all have a fair idea about the book, I'm gonna start it off from when Ximena was running/hiding from ICE in season 5. I'm also gonna keep some of the story line the same as the tv show, but I'm also gonna change some stuff up and add some stuff in. Okay hope you injoy☺️❤️😊

Callie's pov:

"Quick quick quick, this door this door" I shout to Ximena and AJ who are running beside me towards the massive wooden doors of the church.

The three of us burst through the doors, the sound of heavy footprints slamming against the surface of the concrete behind us. We make it inside just as two muscular men reach the church, with the continue's noise of sirens surrounding our every move. The sound of the lock locking fills the almost silent space, our gasping breathing in the background as we all catch our breaths. We take sanctuary in wait of what's to happen next.

"Are you sure your safe here" I manage to ask Ximena, my breathing gradually steadying back to its ordinary rhythm.

"Yeah, they don't come in churches" she replies her breath steadying concurrent to mine.

I sit down on the closest seat. Communicating with mom through text, trying to find out what events are taking place outside and what we should do at this disquieting moment. AJ sits next to me in silence as Ximena starts pacing back and forth down the isle trying to get a hold of Poppy or at least her parents.

"Come on, Answer" she whispers in frustration. No luck as its midnight.

"Ximena, I'm sure their fine. There's many reasons as to why they may not be answering. One of them being it's the middle of the night" I  try to convince her, raising to my feet and walking in front of her.

"Poppy?" She questions still not entirely convinced by my words.

"Shes probably still at the prom with Mariana. Everything's gonna be fine" I assure her.

She forces a small smile to appear upon her face; A fictitious smile. She's trying to believe what I said is true but it's obvious she's scared, distressed. To be honest I am too. I give her a sympathetic look.

"Come here" I whisper as I pull her into my embrace.

She reciprocates my moves and wraps her arms around me. I hear a faint sniffle coming from her. I squeeze her tighter and keep her encased in my arms.

I feel terrible. This is so disastrous and completely unfair. Ximena is a good person and definitely does not deserve all this torture, causing so much distress and despair for her and her family.

———————

*Later that night. Still Callie's pov*

It's been a few hours since we got here. It feels like it's been longer. During that time Noah's mom came and left us some spare clothes and bedding for the night, which we are all very grateful for. My mom came in earlier along with Mike and Ximena's lawyer, and explained the circumstances with Poppy and her parents, and advised how it would be best for AJ and I to proceed to stay here until further notice.

We're all doing nothing. Just sitting here, lazing around on the preachers floor, trying to kill time until it's safe for us all to attempt to languish for the night. We played I-Spy but extremely quickly got bored of that and now we're playing Charades, or though it's not going so well. AJ is terrible at this game. But I guess it's a good distraction, expesually for Ximena.

"Come on guys, this is the easiest thing to guess" AJ says flapping his arms aggressively up and down.

"Are you sure your not a bird?" Ximena questions with an extremely confused yet questioning look spread across her face.