Chapter 1 - The Fox Mask

Clover Kingdom - Year 1623

It was around March when our annual ceremony took place for individuals coming of age to receive their grimoires.

Time flew. Six months after the Grimoire Acceptance Ceremony, the Magic Knights Entrance Exam was then underway, took place at Magic Knight Colosseum, Kikka Town.

Kikka's strong trading centre was one of the city's most notable qualities. Various merchants came to Kikka for commerce, from foods to weaponry, making Kikka's market one of the most active in the Kingdom. Many people came to Kikka for their errands, including the Magic Knights.

An exceptional number of youngsters flocked to the town those days. They were those hoping to be chosen for the Magic Knights, start their adventure or rather, make a name for themselves.

And there also those who have decided their paths.

William Vangeance stood outside the enormous arena, allowing himself to be herded by the other eager recruits. An endless flow of people headed for the same destination. He wasn't paying much attention as he let his feet brought him on their own.

So, he didn't notice someone had stopped halfway – and he pumped into her. A sense of warmth washed through him as a result of that simple contact.

The girl turned around; their eyes met.

A maiden wearing a fox mask, which hid half of her face.

"Ah, my apology, lady."

Aside from the mask, William could feel the dignity and grace that came from her. Her long dark hair was swaying in the wind, and she kept it out of her face with a hand. Around her shoulders laid restfully a white fox, which was fawning upon her.

"Are you blind? You pumped my Master!"

"I-I'm sorry..." The fox talked!?

The girl didn't even flinch, covering the mouth of the fox at an instant. "You have apologized twice though."

The silence fell upon them, which made William feel completely awkward.

"Er... your fox is quite unique, isn't it?"

"Th-This is not a fox!" She stuttered, coughing, "It's my scarf."

One hundred per cent that she was lying, and William could see through it.

'Cute though.' So he never thought of exposing

In the end, William changed the subject.

"You look lost. Can I help you?"

The black-haired maiden hesitated to ask, "Then... what they are doing?" She pointed toward the lines of people.

She was around his age, so he assumed she was also taking the Magic Knight Entrance Exam.

"They are registering, for the Entrance Exam to be precise." William answer with amusement.

"Can anyone attend?"

"Everyone who has gained a grimoire, of course." He continued, gesturing to various lines of hopefuls. "They'll take your name and tell you what to do from there. I wish you luck."

"I don't need luck, but thanks anyway." She bowed her head down to express her gratitude. Then she gave a wave to William and headed towards the mass. The fox, which she claimed a scarf, suddenly turned around, glaring at him.

It was as if the fox was trying to question him for getting close to its Master.

William "..."

oOo