Chapter One, The Reaping

I woke up generally happy,that is until I realized what day it was, I then heaved a great sigh and, got out of bed. Life in district four was generally good I mean we weren't starving, and we were generally a wealthier district, plus we were taught fishing at a young age so I already knew how to
fish, make nets, make fishing hooks, and swim for
instance. I went into the kitchen to see my Mother silently making breakfast, I sat down, and grabbed a slice a bread from the table, as I silently started munching on it, my Sister, Brother, and Farther doing the same. This is what my family has been for the past two years, Silent, Sure we still talk to each other but nothing more than "Hi, How are you? "How was your day? "How was school?" stuff like that. It used to be different, we would spend time together laugh, even sing, none of that small talk that I so desperately hate, but that was before the 70th Hunger Games that took my twin Jack's life. I remembered it like it was yesterday, Jack's name being called, me sobbing uncontrollably, internally begging someone would volunteer to take his place, but no one did, so he was reaped alongside a girl named Annie Cresta. No one really had any hope of either winning, Annie wasn't huge or muscular, while Jack was only 14, Jack knew this but still told me before he left on the train "If Finnick Odair was able to win at 14 I should be able to as well." Oh how very wrong my brother was. We had watched the bloodbath on tv and shortly after my Brother was beheaded. This is what drove the Victor of those game's Annie Cresta a bit mad, Annie went a bit mad, and I somehow didn't, sure I was unhinged and it definitely still affects me but I didn't go mad, not even a bit. "I'm so nervous aren't you?" my Sister Lily say's, desperately trying to start conversation, that's something about Lily that will never change, she trying to be the glue that holds my family together. "Yeah", I say unenthusiastically. "Totally", Samuel Say's, "after all this is my first reaping", we all fall silent, and just as quickly as it was started the conversation drops and not another word is said.
I get dressed in a black and white flower dress, underneath it I wear black leggings, and I put on black flats. I put my hair in a quick pony tail, and just like that it's time to go to the reaping.
Our escort this year is someone new, a young man who is just the definition of obnoxious, but still we make do with what we get. After the obnoxiously long story, the mayor tells every year, about the dark days and the war, and I feel every time he tells this story he looks especially towards my Family, since my ancestors were so damn resentful.
After That The mentors go on stage, there's Finnick Odair who is giving a smile, with his famous as ever sea green eyes, I stare blankly at them with my deep blue eyes. There's Annie Cresta, Who isn't entirely there at the moment, and finally there's Mags, who barely has any teeth and looks way too old for this. The escort Adain Nicklo, walks towards the ball with all the names,spins it and excitingly says, "and the female tribute for this year's 72nd Hunger Games is....." Adain would pause to add dramatic tension, which I find totally unnecessary, but hey he's just trying to put on a show for the capital, after what seemed like forever,
Adain would pick up the pause "Viola Baker", He said. I could hear the shriek of my Mother, as I would slowly walk up stage, holding back to tears to hide my weakness. "Ok!" Adain would say, "and the male tribute is Samuel Baker!" Adain said not wanting to do the dramatic pause again.
I stood frozen on the stage, my Mother gives another loud shriek, as Sam walked towards the stage. While he was walking I heard murmurs in the crowd like "the odds are definitely not in favor for this family"
And they were right.