A Long Night

Damien Tales

'My head' I thought, as I blinked rapidly my eyes tearing up I looked over scanning my surroundings noticing I'm in a hospital bed. Then suddenly like in waves it came back the flash of the portal came rushing back my wails and screeches of pain. I tried lifting up but something heavy was resting on my left arm I looked down to see Aspen's curly mop of raven black hair. I frowned noticing the dry tears on her now rosy cheeks I looked down at my right arm noticing a maroon cast on it. I hummed quietly to myself wondering what other injuries I may have focusing my eyes now on the clock. 'It's only 10:57' I thought, well sleep was out of the question from the splitting headache that was starting to form. I let out a slight groan of discomfort, a throb coursing through my head like static shock, suddenly Aspen stirred, her emerald eyes opening slowly. "Well hello m'lady" I said, teasingly and wincing slightly. Luckily Aspen didn't seem to notice; she wrapped her arms around my neck tightly. I patted her back as she began to sob, "shh it's okay" I cooed, Aspen hiccuped as she started wiping away her tears. I gave her a small smile but her expression turned even more gloomy "why aren't you furious with me?" Aspen asked grimly. "Why would I be I know you didn't mean to press the portal button you were just upset" I said, genuinely not upset. "You are hurt because of me. You could've died and it would've been all my fault. I feel like that's something to be upset with me about" Aspen said somberly.

"Listen I understand why you feel the way you do, I am your older brother I don't know what I'd do if you got hurt. Even so I'm not upset that I'm here; yes, I'm in pain but I'll heal- in time" I said, she unwrapped her arms from around my neck sniffling a bit as she sat back up. "Now where's mom and dad?" I said, scanning the room to see they weren't there. "Oh they went down to the lobby to get coffee they wanted to stay awake" Aspen explained. I nodded "so how long have I been unconscious" I asked. "Three days" Aspen said grimly, pursing her lips. I saw in her expression this fact made her deeply upset so I tried changing the subject "I was thinking about getting green bands on my braces next time". "Think I'll look cool" I chuckled, Aspen let out a small laugh "no you'll probaly look stupid like you always do" Aspen let out a small giggle. I let out an offended gas "ouch that hurt" I said teasingly, Aspen just laughed in response.

All of a sudden the door knob started turning, startling Aspen, there stood mom and dad looking more exhausted than ever. Mom and dad looked like they haven't slept in days. The bags under their eyes more prominent than ever. Mom's silver eyes looked pale while dads emerald orbs looked bloodshot almost as red as a basset hound's. Suddenly, mom looked me straight in the eyes, welling up in tears she rushed towards me almost knocking the coffee out of dad's hands. She flung her arms around my neck so fast I thought she got whiplash. Dad set the coffee down on the bedside table and ruffled my hair. Suddenly there was a knock at the door and the person I'm assuming was the nurse walked in. She had short ginger hair and looked like she was in her late teens. "Hi my name is Ms Driscoll I'm your nurse but you can call me Erin,'' Erin said cheerfully. I gave Erin a smile but Aspen's expression still looked noticeably grim. "So let's go over the casualties" Erin said breaking the silence that was about to form. "You have a fractured right arm" Erin said. "You also have some bruising and a deep gash on your back so that's stitched and bandaged up. Finally, you have a cut on your forehead so you have a bandage wrapped around it. It's not a serious cut though" Erin finished explaining. We have to keep you here for a while though just to check up on your vitals" said Erin. I nodded glad to just have some form of answers. "You guys can go home I'll be fine" I said, mom was about to say something but I cut her off. "You look like you haven't slept properly in the days I've been unconscious. So for now please get some sleep, for me at least" I said, giving a weak smile. Mom, Aspen, and dad looked at me defeated but agreed nonetheless. Mom and dad kissed my forehead while Aspen gave me hug before walking out into the hall. All that was left was Erin and I. "Tell me about yourself, for example, what's your favorite book" Erin laughed. "Well I would have to say Ghost Town by Chalie Akagi what's yours?" I asked. "Secret by Anthony Hale" Erin responded. "Ok my turn" I hummed, "how old are you?". "I'm 18" Erin said, smiling. "When's your birthday" Erin asked. "October 13" I said, Erin's smile dimmed. "What, did I say something wrong" I asked, furrowing my eyebrows. "No, it's just you missed your birthday" Erin said. "oh I never really thought about that" I responded truthfully. "It's fine though, not really upset about it," I said, reassuringly. "No, it's not I'll right back" Erin said, excitedly rushing out the door. 'Erin seems cool' I thought, I got up off the bed and walked over to the bathroom, turning on the lights. I gripped the sides of the sink sighing looking in the mirror I winced. My skin was paler, my eyes slightly bloodshot, I sighed. I turned on the sink and bent down scooping some of the icy cold water in my hands. I splashed my face being careful not to get my forehead bandage wet; I shifted my eyes back to the mirror, I nearly let an audible gasp but caught myself. My eyes were glowing green. My hair a snowy white, I put my hand on the mirror in shock but it phases right through. I bent down to splash my face yet again maybe I'm just seeing things I have been unconscious for 3 days I thought. I looked up and my appearance was still the same just stay calm I thought. I ran a hand through my now snow colored curly locks I turned the lights off closing the door behind me. Walking back over to my bed I sat down placing my head in hands. I felt like I was going to start hyperventilating but I calmed myself the best I could. About 15 minutes passed when I finally realized that Erin still wasn't back yet. I'm gonna go look for her I definitely can't go back to sleep but my hair an eyes that definitely gonna throw her off. It's worth the risk I thought I grabbed my phone and maroon sweatshirt I'm assuming mom left for me. I put on my hoodie pulling up my hood then turned on my flashlight and headed out in the hall, the lights were slightly to bright. Nothing I couldn't deal with I continued down the hallway gradually getting a little creeped out. I felt like I was being watched but continued heading down the hallway. I made it to what I believe was the main hall looking up at the signs I saw the sign for the cafeteria. I took a left and continued down the hallway.

The trek down the hallway took about 3 minutes and as I near closer to my destination. I still had an eerily feeling that I was being watched still. Then again my hair and eyes are now different colors so it's understandable I'm a little shaken up. I finally reached my destination but stopped abruptly, suddenly my body shivered. As I breathed a blue mist came out of my mouth 'that's new what does this even mean' I thought, turning off my flashlight . I peered around the corner but what I saw made me nauseous with fear. A tall, dark purple shadow figure was hovering over Erin's unconscious body. Her forehead bleeding but not enough to need stitches. The figure didn't seem to be a shadow colossus which is a type of spirit so what exactly is it I thought. I can't just leave Erin there but what exactly can I do I thought it's not like I can asked the shadow spirit thingy to leave.

What may of been bravery or possibly stupidity I'm going head with the latter I rushed into the cafeteria. The figure stood up and turned its misty body toward me. I gulped in fear but stood my ground nonetheless "So, this is the phantom boy. Thought he'd be stronger than this" the misty figure said, it's voice raspy like it hadn't talked in years. 'Phantom? what's a phantom' I thought. I'm guessing I looked confused because the shadow answered my looming question. "You're half human half ghost question is how exactly did you end up like this the mist hummed thoughtfully. "What do you want and why are you here?" I asked, fearful. "Oh, you, my boy I sensed your abilities. My master would greatly reward me if I brought you back with me" the shadow answered, it's voice booming. "What did you do to her" I motioned over to Erin's body on the ground. "Oh the nurse she's just unconscious might've hit her head though" the shadow figure said voice showing no sign of remorse. I glared angrily "now come with me don't make this harder than it needs to be" the shadow said. The figure came rushing forward making me flinch I flung myself out of the way. Landing on the ground I hit my unbroken arm surely bruising it. "Come on you little brat" the shadow said I shot my hand forward trying to block it but then green mist came out of hand hitting the figure. I looked at my hand in astonishment but there was no time for that I rushed over to Erin checking for a pulse. I sighed in relief I shook her gently I needed her to wake up she doesn't look heavy but in my condition. Her dead weight would make this really hard to get away from the shadow. I let out a yelp as my foot suddenly got yanked the shadow figure holding me upside down from my foot. "That was a grave mistake boy the figure growled I tried to warn you but you didn't listen to me" the shadow said. Flailing my arms around hoping to make the mist shadow figure whatever drop me. How is nobody hearing this I thought angrily the figure stuck it's hand out the center wall. A black mist came out of it's hand creating what I assumed was a portal. My eyes widened with fear, come on powers work I'm kind of in grave danger here. I felt the heat from my palm finally come back the figure was distracted. I directed my arm to what should've been the mist's face and blasted it full force. The figure was caught so off guard it threw me far in the corner. I groaned in pain luckily not landing on my injuries but probably gaining more in result I thought bitterly. I rushed over to the figure and with all the strength I could muster I blasted it again. Through wherever that portal was heading to the shadow screeched as the portal closed. I collapsed from the overwhelming exhaustion, panting, I looked over to Erin. I stopped abruptly, luckily she's awake but I'm not sure how much she saw. She probably thinks I'm a freak now what if she tells the other doctors and I'm sent somewhere. My worries were soon shut out when Erin wrapped her arms around me crying softly. Thank you she repeatedly like a mantra I finally felt unfrozen and wrapped my arms around her. "You're uh welcome" I said, confused. This isn't exactly how I thought this was going. "Aren't you afraid of me" I asked "why would I be" Erin said "I literally just shot green mists from my hand and my hair is snowy white. When it was literally black like an hour ago I think that's something to think I'm a freak about" I said sarcastically. "Well I'm not afraid of you and that's that" Erin responded. She suddenly got up, stumbling a bit, I got up with her wrapping my arm around her middle. "Easy there, you're probably going to be a little dizzy. You did hit your forehead on something" I said, concerned. Erin gave me a slight smile, "Dude you just fought a shadow figure whatever that was". "Well on your already bruised and slightly broken body I think my injury is nothing compared to yours" Erin giggled. "Touché but I'm more worried about you than me I have a feeling that creature went after you because of me and for that I greatly apologize" I said.

"Stop apologizing now let's get you what I was intending to get you before you know want" Erin laughed running off into the staff room. "Wait shouldn't you lay nevermind" I sighed Erin already gone. 'Well this I going to be a really long night' I thought.