Lady Amynta

Athena, made on AzaleaDolls Goddess Maker

"The Mistress will see you now, Lady Amynta!" the girl said as she stood in the doorway, her head humbly bowed.

"Thank you, Pallas," I said, nodding to her as I rose from my seat and glided towards the doorway. As I said her name, a deep sorrow swept through my body. Although people named their daughters after my dearest lost friend to honor her, and therefore me, it hurt to see the girls bearing the name she had once possessed. 

In the next room, Kalysta was waiting for me, sitting on a lounge next to multiple chairs and a bench with cheese and grapes on it. "Ah, Amynta! I'm so glad you could come. Darius has been in Thebes for 3 weeks, and I have been ever so bored. So, how have you been?"

"Well, Kalysta, like you, quite bored. I've attended the Sun Festival, and seen a few plays." I found myself getting slightly angry. In this city that was dedicated to me, a goddess, a woman, women were not allowed many freedoms at all. Though I was the goddess of cleverness, women were not allowed to have jobs, own land or have expensive belongings, and most of the time, they couldn't even leave the house. I, of course, could take any body I wished , and if I had the intention, I could take the body of a man. Mortal women, of course, did not have that choice. 

"Mistress, a parcel has arrived for you," a girl called timidly from the doorway. I turned my head to look at her, and was blown away by the incredible intelligence I could sense exuding from her. I had not seen such since Pallas, many, many years ago.  "Thank you, Nikoleta," Kalysta said, barely glancing away from me. "Bring it to my quarters," she finished.

Nikoleta quickly left the room, and I immediately inquired of  Kalysta, "Kalysta, my dear friend, how much would you like for the girl? I have taken a liking to her,". Of course, I could have just forced her to give me Nikoleta, but I respected her enough to ask first. 

Her brow furrowed, and she looked rather shocked. "Well, I mean, she is rather new, and Darius paid 25 drachma for her. I suppose...I supposed he'd be fine if you bought her for 50," she finished, and in her I saw slyness that, if she had been allowed to flourish, would have been cultivated into something great. 

I pretended to think about it, but I knew it was not even a decision for me. "I'll take her, Kalysta." I said. "Here," I continued, reaching into my pouch to take out the money. "This is half, as a first payment, and I'll send over one of my servants with the rest of the payment tonight, if I may take her home with me today."

Kalysta smiled, a triumphant look in her eyes. "It's a deal, my dear friend."