Blindsided One Shot

Fixing your dress, you stepped out of your car and gazed at the area around you. It was truly beautiful, and on any other day you would have wanted to spend hours here, but on this particular day, you didn't want to spend another minute here, and you had just arrived.

Why did you agree to this? It wouldn't have been rude to decline the invitation after all you were the ex girlfriend of the groom. No one ever expects to see them at the wedding. But at the bottom of the invitation he had scribbled the words "please come."

Why did he even want you here? Maybe it was to rub it in your face, after all he did lead you on for practically 2 years with no promise of forever, just a few words to make you belive he was actually committed to you. He played you. He broke you, and then came back to pickup the pieces, used some nice words to put you back together, played you and broke you again. It was a never ending cycle, and it took too long for you to admit the turmoil and toxicity your relationship with him had been.

So why were you here? It had been over 2 years since you last saw him. Since the day you told him goodbye and you cried the whole way home. You would have liked to have seen his face when he realized that your goodbye meant that you were also letting him go. You weren't just saying goodbye, you were moving on, heart and soul. Completely ridding yourself from him. But yet, here you were. You thought you'd never see him again, but then life comes along and slaps you in the face. And this time "life" was also named Chris Evans.

The invitation had told you to bring it with you, and you found out why as you approached a guard standing next to an iron gate. After all it was a celebrity wedding they couldn't let just anybody in. You showed him your invitation and expected him to send you on your way. He instead gave you special instructions that once you got inside the gate and made your way to the gifts and cards table, you turn to your left and follow the path that way instead of the path that led you to the seating and location of the nuptials. "Knock when you get there" he told you.

You swallowed hard as you followed the chalk board signs leading the way with cheesy quotes like "this way to happily ever after" and it made you ill. You came to the table of gifts and cards and slowly reached into your purse to pull out your card. It wasn't much, it was probably the most generic wedding card you could find. You didn't bring a gift, no you weren't going to do that. Your attendance and the cheapest card Walmart had was enough. You looked around to make sure no one was paying attention to you and you obeyed the guard turning and following the dirt road to your left. As you continued, the path got more and more secluded until it was completely under the tall oak trees. You found yourself staring at a wooden door that was stuck in between some tall brush. You hesitantly raised your fist and knocked as the guard had told you. Not a second later the door swung open and there he was.

It had been 2 years since you saw him and your heart still leaped at the sight of him. Stupid heart for betraying you. His hair was shorter than you remembered but his beard still convered his jawline and his upper lip stopping just under his nose. He was wearing a grey suit jacket with a light blue button up shirt and a striped blue tie. You shook your head confused at the attire. He saw your confused expression and explained he was trying to blend in with the other guests. "People see a man in a tuxedo walking around and they automatically know it's the groom"

"Or people see the actual groom walking around and they automatically know it's the groom" you sarcastically replied thankful that your mouth wasn't betraying you the same way your heart did. Your mind and heart were always at battle when it came to Chris, and now was no exception. Usually it was your heart that won, but this time you hoped the time apart from him would change the outcome.

Chris chuckled at your comment, and joked that you hadn't changed a bit, but you hoped that wasn't the case. You thought you had changed a lot since he had last seen you, maybe not much in appearance but you thought you were stronger, smarter and loved yourself a bit more. You didn't love yourself much back then, thus allowing Chris to define your worth in many ways. One of the reasons your relationship was so unhealthy was because this gave Chris the power to make you feel worthless.