Chapter 1

December fifteenth, 23:11, 3009. It's too dark to tell if it's safe to go outside. I wonder if the sun is ever going to shine on my lifeless dying rock. I'm going to have to move soon. Let me catch you up.
My name is Leo Crossford. I'm twenty-five years old and live in the Floating District. I was born in 2984, the entity came in 2997. I had just turned thirteen when they came. They were smart, they were fast, they were deadly. It was so ancient that it didn't know it's true name. Today we come to call it Dark Matter.
Dark Matter attacked our tech and found a way to infect it and turn it against us. With five years of investigation, we came to understand that Dark Matter are interdimensional fifth-dimensional communists. They float across the multiverse and destroy any life found.
They infected humans and animals, showing us the monsters that we face today. They split Earth into pieces and tormented us merely for fun. For 2 years, chaos was everywhere. I was always somewhere caught in the middle. Earth's population dropped to millions until we thought of a revolutionary idea. We won the fight with a magical unit, designed by the human race. With PDM, physical Dark Matter, science, and a little bit of remnant, we created the Northern Wall. Physical Dark Matter and modern day technology kept it from us. They took their half of the land, and we kept ours. We also designed other weapons, which are still stored privately under Earth's remaining military.
Life nowadays is just a mess of fantasy and dread.
I look out the window. Through the cracked glass and my breath fogging up the window, I see something. It's moving, but that's not much of a surprise to me. I listen closely. I can hear rumbling, humming? Growling.
Shit. He sees me. I back away from the window and run to the front door. I open it. Switching the porch light on accidentally, I lean out of the doorway. The light blinds the creature's eyes. I thought so. It's a Rootnac. A cross between human, bear, and lizard. It's not a pretty sight.
"Aren't you a creepy bastard," I mutter. The beast blinks. I glance at the O button on the doorframe. The O button, dubbed by me, better known as the proximity obliteration switch. Touch the button and a deadly pulse of energy is sent out. The energy, a combination of electrons, PDM, nanotech, and poison destroys the molecular integrity of cells. I was safe from it, but anything that is Dark Matter is destroyed, all with a range of one mile.
The Rootnac growls and looks up at the O button. "No," the beast grumbles. It's obviously in pain. Who wouldn't be with a bear and a lizard attached to your DNA?
"You want me to push this button?" I smile. It lowers itself, winding up to pounce. "You do, don't you?"
The Rootnac lets out a cry as it springs into the air. Its arms extend, reaching for me. I hammer on the button. The button beeps as blue light flashes. In the blink of an eye, the Rootnac dies and turns to liquid, becoming a puddle on my sidewalk. I cringe.
I walk backward, back into the house I slam the door and walk back to my bedroom.