Chapter 31

Yancheng was situated at the border of the South China Sea, isolated from the Central Plains and Jiuzhou. This made travel and business dealings difficult, and gradually came to be viewed as uncivilized territory.

Although the customs of the inhabitants here were considered uncouth, the place was nonetheless an important military hub. The Imperial Court had long set up patrols made up of Yancheng soldiers to guard the borders of the territory from foreign invaders.

Due to this system, Jianzhou had been able to receive information on the Wokou pirates’ invasion almost as soon as it occurred. Regrettably however, the elaborate dealings of the Imperial Court, with the Emperor and his courtiers each too busy minding their own interests, meant that the relief troops were not dispatched in a timely manner.

The once beautiful and tranquil coastal city was ravaged by the war, and was now all the more eager to usher in their saviour.

========

Su Yang was arranged to be housed in the army’s relay station with Jing Cheng. As the days passed, he saw less and less of Jing Cheng. The man would be missing every time he opened his eyes in the morning. Only when the sun began to set would Jing Cheng hurry back to shower him with affection.

{T/N: Relay station, probably looked like this.It was where ancient intelligence officials (the kind in charge of handling information) would stay to rest and eat and change their horses for fresh mounts}

Su Yang was kissed till he felt dizzy from lack of air. He could feel the growing chill within him slowly leave his body.

The weather at the coastal city of Yancheng was cool and refreshing, the climate pleasant and hospitable. But Su Yang hated it. Every night, his body would break into a cold sweat. He would wrap himself up in several layers of thick quilts each time, but could not escape the icy touch in his bones.

Only when Jing Cheng was by his side, would this discomfort subside.

Jing Cheng touched his face. “Why have you grown thin again?”

Su Yang puffed out his cheeks and shook his head. “Not thin! Ate a lot of fish! Getting fat!”

“Greedy little cat.” Jing Cheng pinched his nose teasingly. “Don’t just eat meat, you should eat your rice and vegetables as well. Don’t be a picky eater.”

Su Yang immediately pulled a long face at the mention of vegetables, and wordlessly buried his face in Jing Cheng’s chest. He began to whine, “Fūjūn, when can we leave this place, Yu-er doesn’t like it here.”

Jing Cheng asked, “Why, has someone made you unhappy?”

“No.” Su Yang shook his head, and said, “It’s cold everyday, the wind outside is always blowing. It feels like winter. At night, even with the quilts, my hands are still cold.”

As if to prove the truth of his words, he used his icy little paws to grasp Jing Cheng’s cheeks.

His palms were as delicate and smooth as high quality silken tofu, but the frigid touch sent chills down one’s spine. Jing Cheng reached up and covered his icy hands with his own, the emotions veiled in his dark eyes.