Chapter 32

Su Yang pursed his lips lightly as he lowered his head. From this angle, he could not see Jing Cheng’s expression, but he could still tell that the man seemed rather unhappy. Or, to be more precise, he was in anguish.

But how can this be, Su Yang thought. Wasn’t Jing Cheng the one who hurt him to begin with?

Su Yang drew back his hands. “They said, the peak of summer in Yancheng, is very very hot,” he muttered. “Everyone is avoiding the heat, but I’m the only one who feels cold.”

Jing Cheng went still, his hands slowly curling into fists.

Su Yang added, “They also said, my face is pale, like I have a serious illness, and that I may not live much longer…..”

Jing Cheng suddenly looked up, a bloodthirsty light glinting in his eyes. He gritted out through clenched teeth, “Who are they? Who has been spreading malicious gossip in front of you? I will see to it that those who carelessly wag their tongues will never be able to open their mouths ever again!”

His eyes were filled with vengeful cruelty, as if he had found an outlet for which to vent his emotions. Su Yang tensed up in fear for a moment, then the rims of his eyes reddened as he stuttered, “Don’t ask who, tell me, is it true? Am I-am I going to die?”

“No!” Jing Cheng answered bluntly. With heavy emphasis on every word, he said slowly, “I will never allow that to happen.”

He stood up and tidied Su Yang’s robes, which had fallen into disarray. The crazed light in his eyes gradually faded away.

“Don’t think too much. You caught a common cold, that’s all. And your body is delicate to begin with, it’s inevitable for you to be more prone to sickness than the common folk. Wait till we return to Jianzhou, your husband will summon the Imperial Physician over to treat you. Very soon, you’ll be just as healthy as before.”

He knew that what he was saying were lies. Even if the key is found, his little puppy will never regain his previous health. His body has already received too much damage. Even if he were to be fed with medicinal soup everyday, his lifespan may never reach that of a normal healthy person’s.

But Jing Cheng is not one to be resigned to fate. Whatever it may cost him, he is willing to pay the price, all for a chance at seizing on to the slimmest thread of hope.

Su Yang stared at him numbly. He thought that, even now, Jing Cheng was still lying to him.

Jing Cheng sat down on the bedside and pulled Su Yang into his arms. “You would rather believe in the nonsense you heard from outsiders, than believe in your Fūjūn?” he asked.

Su Yang shook his head, a thin film of tears glistening in his eyes. He choked out, “Yu-er believes Fūjūn. So, so, Fūjūn must not lie to Yu-er, alright?”

Jing Cheng was silent, but he tightened his hold around Su Yang.

Su Yang blinked away his tears as he whispered, “Yu-er does not want to die. Dying means never seeing Mother, never seeing Granny, and never seeing Fūjūn again. If Yu-er misses Fūjūn, I won’t be able to find you.”

Jing Cheng said, “Little idiot, Fūjūn will always be by your side, you don’t have to worry about not being able to find me.”