Chapter 33

Minister’s Residence

Wu Xueyan’s long, shapely eyebrows were drawn into a frown. As she looked at the group of teary-eyed, weeping beauties who were kneeling before her, she could feel the beginnings of a headache.

Sun Yingyue who was the closest to her, fished out her handkerchief and dabbed at her eyes. Her head was lowered as she sobbed, “Fūrén, we were in the wrong previously, and overstepped our bounds, please forgive us our ignorance. From this day hence, we promise to abstain from meat and will devote ourselves to reciting the Buddhist scriptures, and to pray for blessings for Fūrén and the eldest Young Master. Begging Fūrén to please spare our miserable lives.”

{T/N: 奴婢们 (Núbì men) – we, your servants}

The other ladies echoed her entreaty, “Begging Fūrén to please spare our miserable lives!”

Sun Yingyue continued, “In fact, over these past few years, His Lordship has only had Fūrén in his heart, how can we insignificant ones compare to even one strand of Fūrén’s hair? Previously, this servant behaved with impropriety, Fūrén please don’t take it to heart……”

{奴婢 (Núbì) – I, your servant}

Wu Xueyan kneaded her brows and cut her off. “All of you return to your own courtyards. It’s not safe to wander outside these days. If you meet with a mishap outside, I won’t be able to guarantee your safety.”

One after another, the women ceased their weeping, kowtowed to her in gratitude, before respectfully filing out.

After they have all left, Wu Xueyan pressed her hand against her forehead and sighed softly.

General Wu Xingde currently held control of Jianzhou City. The news of the Imperial City being surrounded by his forces have already spread far and wide amongst the common masses. Even in their wildest imaginings, no one would have expected the devoutly loyal and self-sacrificing Wu family to commit to this road of treason from which there is no return. Not even Wu Xueyan herself had guessed at her father’s actions, and had been thoroughly alarmed by the news.

It was clear that Wu Xingde had planned this a long time ago. To have been able to suppress the royalists in such a short period of time, as well as subjugating all the power and influence that the royal family had been cultivating in the dark all this while, this was no spur of the moment decision.

To think that her proud and haughty father had been lying in wait for a chance to act all these years after having devoted more than half his life to the Jings, was a notion that Wu Xueyan found difficult to swallow. Distress and anxiety warred within her.

The Jing family had occupied all nine provinces of Zhongyuan for over fifty years. It is not that simple a matter to oust them from the seat of power. What was more, even though the current monarch was incompetent at best, the common people have been living in peace and plenty. Threatening the stability of the nation would indelibly blacken their names. 

{T/N: 中原九州 (Zhōngyuán jiǔzhōu) – lit. Zhongyuan, 9 provinces. Zhongyuan is an old name for the Chinese civilisation. Hence Zhongyuan, 9 provinces pretty much means all of China.}