Chapter 34

Arc 2 END

The snowfall was growing heavier, and the ground was soon blanketed in white. The army consisting of a hundred thousand men returning from the Southern campaign stood facing the ten odd riders that came with the Wu father and daughter.

Wu Xueyan knelt on both knees and prostrated herself before Jing Cheng again, her head pressed against the ground. Blood seeped from the wound on her forehead, but she paid it no mind as she pleaded, “Begging the Róng Qīnwáng to let my Yu-er go, I’m begging you to let my Yu-er go….”

Tears streamed freely from Wu Xingde’s eyes. He, who had rushed headlong fearlessly into the battlefield for decades, could now only tilt his face up skywards in despair. “Gods in Heaven, what sins have my Wu family ever committed! Why are you so cruel!!”

“Jing Cheng! Let my daughter and grandson go, let them leave the country. I will eliminate Jing Qian and his son to clear the way for you, I will bear the title of traitor for you. You can continue to be the hero of the Northern Desert and South China Sea campaigns, and be revered by the people, your name will be immortalised in the annals of history for generations to come!”  

Jing Cheng looked at them dully. He remained silent. 

Tears brimmed in Su Yang’s eyes. The Wu family had been good to him. He had intended to protect the Wu and Tao family as a means of repayment for their kindness, but now he was the one being used by Jing Cheng as a bargaining chip against them. The debt he owed them was growing higher and higher. 

He struggled against Jing Cheng’s hold, but was unable to free himself. “Let me go, you’re bullying Mother, you’re a bad person…… you’re a bad person…..” His voice carried a hint of a sob.

There was a stab of pain in Jing Cheng’s chest when he realised Su Yang had started to resist him, but he stubbornly tightened his grip instead. 

His eyes were pinned on the Wu father and daughter. An unprecedented surge of hatred rose in him at the sight of them. He had no scruples with revealing the cruelty of his nature to anyone, but in front of his little puppy, he had wanted to be a loving, considerate Fūjūn, and an honest, compassionate man. 

For this father-daughter pair to show up abruptly, meant that all his careful plans have been thrown awry, his mask has been torn off, and his precious beloved has been hurt.

He caged the wildly struggling Su Yang in his arms, and said bitterly, “So you’ve finally realised, I have never been a good person. You fool, you’ve finally realised.” 

Su Yang gazed at him through tear filled eyes, and shook his head. “No, Yu-er was just angry. Fūjūn treats Yu-er the best….. but Mother is bleeding, the snow on the ground is red. She must be in pain, Yu-er wants to go see Mother….”  

Jing Cheng could feel something icy-cold and wet fall on the back of his hand. He took a deep breath, raised his hand, and gently wiped away the tears from Su Yang’s face. “Don’t cry, Yu-er. Your mother and grandfather wants to take you away, but Fūjūn can’t lose you. You promised to stay with Fūjūn for a lifetime, how can you just leave me now,” he whispered softly. 

A lifetime….. 

Su Yang had once earnestly believed that Jing Cheng meant to have him accompany him for a lifetime. Now, the word was nothing but bitter irony to him. To think that this ‘lifetime’ would be so short.