Chapter Thirty-six

The wind blew gently, now. There were no groans of the trees, grass, or the reeds. Crickets and owls didn't murmur. It seemed as though all of TideClan territory was watching the two apprentices under the moonlight, both drenched with water, soaking to the bone. They laid beside each other, a large, muscular black-tabby tom staring at a much smaller, calico she-cat. Underneath his fur were barely visible scars that healed from previous battles. His eyes were a rich green, as rich as ferns in green-leaf, but they weren't afraid to terrify anyone. He was handsome, a kind soul, yet his heart was wise but innocent to not know what love was. Beside him was a pretty she-cat, a round face with glowing amber eyes. Her body was smaller than the tom's, delicate in a way, with perfectly muscular legs and yet an agile body. On the outside, she looked innocent, yet inside she was a cat who shouldn't be tested; for cornering it is deadly.

Stonepaw stared into Swiftpaw's eyes. His heart was aching in a longed wait, for he wanted this moment to happen. Though his body felt cold, his heart was warm. He wouldn't think that someone like her would pick him; yes, he was all looks, but he knew deep down that she looked past it. They bonded over friendship, but to see their relationship blossom into something more meant a myriad of hymns in his ears. 

Swiftpaw couldn't tear her eyes away, for she was frightened of his response. Every ounce of fear weighed down unto her small body; how could he ever love her back? She was a beast masqued in a pelt of a she-cat, a predator ready to kill. Her body trembled, and she closed her eyes shut. Maybe my body wasn't meant for love. I was built like a warrior, predestined by StarClan. Would my ancestors have adorned this curse unto me because they knew I was the trouble in the family line? Don't spite me, StarClan. I pray so. 

"Swiftpaw..." he began, and he drew closer to her. She lay, frozen, unwilling to do anything. Opening her eyes slowly, she could read his face. Her heart soared, and she nestled close to him, her head nuzzling in the crook of his neck. "I love you more than anything, Stonepaw," she meowed, her eyes closing shut, "I want us to be something more than a secret. More than a whisper, but instead a shout of pride. I want the whole world to know how much I love you."

"Me too. I love you, too, Swiftpaw. I want you to be my mate..." he took a moment to inhale her sweet scent, to feel her calico, soft fur brush up against his. They shared a nice warmth with each other, and he continued, "You can come to join BoulderClan. We'll be apprentices together, and then we can be mates when we become warriors!" His green eyes marveled handsomely before he drew in a breath. Swiftpaw felt her chest swell up in excitement. Stonepaw and I are together, now! She was so joyful, as she buried her nose more into his neck. 

But when she closed her eyes, the sight of Briarkit, Dapplefur, Pricklepelt, Blizzardtail, and her siblings flashed into her mind. For a brief heartbeat, she saw them staring at her; they were all at the edge of a darkness that felt empty and cold. When Swiftpaw opened her eyes, she nearly forgot how to breathe and she opened her mouth to let in some air. Her gut churned, and instantly Swiftpaw knew that she just couldn't leave TideClan.

Is it the guilt that I feel? For leaving them? My family? she thought as she stared up at Stonepaw. It must be because I can't give Stonepaw my direct answer. She knew that if she left, she could never build a relationship with the cats that were already in her life. She inhaled and held her breath against the will of her lungs. I love them too much to leave...but what about Stonepaw? 

"Stonepaw...I can't just leave," she said gently, her body now feeling hot and guilty. Her eyes never left him, and she gently touched her nose with his. "I love you more than anything, Stonepaw, but I can't just leave my clan.

"No matter how much I hate how my clan treats me, there are always some cats who love me. I can't just abandon them. Whenever I felt alone and different, they have comforted me. They're my family, Stonepaw. I can't leave them...no matter how much my clan hates me...I can't."

The wind blew harder for a moment, the crickets chirped wildly, before there was a deafening silence. Swiftpaw felt Stonepaw's body relax, his muscles soften, and she saw his eyes grow gently. He drew in a breath before he buried his nose into her shoulder. "I feel bad asking you to run away to BoulderClan with me even though I never felt at home, there," he admitted, "I never really fit in with the other apprentices of BoulderClan. My paw pads aren't hard enough to climb the rocky terrain of the territory and I don't believe that my mother is really my mother." 

She closed her eyes, letting their bodies warm-up against each other. "Because you don't belong to BoulderClan, Stonepaw," she told him, her heart soaring against the confinements of her chest. Your mother is Juniperberry, my dear. A fellow clanmate of my mother. He tensed up and asked defensively, "Love, are you making a joke?"

"No, I'm not," she meowed, a bit offended, "Stonepaw, you...your mother is Juniperberry." What's coming out of my mouth now seems like fish guts to him... But she didn't know how else to tell him. He didn't move his nose from her shoulder at all and just remained there until the couple heard a pebble shift slightly at the bank where they are at. Immediately Stonepaw jerked away from her and turned his head to the sound. Swiftpaw was facing the direction and she opened her eyes. Her body was cold with adrenaline, but it relaxed when her eyes settled upon Juniperberry.

The beautiful, starry pelted she-cat gazed upon them in favor. Her green eyes were wide in astonishment, but they softened. She was elegant as she made her way over to them, her slender body showing no signs of aging. Her tail lashed behind her softly, but her steps were cautious. She was busy examining her son.

He was larger than her, but the two shared an equilibrium of power. Swiftpaw didn't know what power Juniperberry held, but her son held the power of confidence. It was what made them related and what Stonepaw gathered from her. Swiftpaw could see it clearly, now.

___________________________

Hey guys. Thank you for your patience. Morgan here. I feel sick and I'm happy that I'm able to upload this today. I love all your support, guys! Keep them coming. Before this all came together, I wasn't really into writing until I began to receive more views and votes. I enjoy all the love. You guys are my inspiration to write and to write again. So many tragedies have been bestowed unto me, but even they cannot stop my love to write and draw. 

Logging out, Morgan.