captive

- captive -

he wasn’t exactly sure how he’d gotten here.

he'd just taken one detour from the hiking trail.

luke sat up in the unfamiliar bed, his head pounding. he grimaced at the light that filtered through the blinds and stood slowly. he walked towards the window, taking in his surroundings. cool air rushed in through a crack in the window. a collection of dolls, covered in a fine layer of dust, sat in the corner, silently watching his assessment of the room. a teddy bear with one eye missing stared at Luke from its shelf.

where was he?

“good morning, precious.”

luke jumped and turned to the door. a petite girl stood in the doorway, her pale face completely blank. “did you sleep well?” she tilted her head in inquiry.

he shuddered. “where am i?”

she smiled. “here.”

“where is ‘here’?”

she smiled again, her blood red lips stretching apart in a sadistic expression, wide enough to reveal the pointed teeth behind them.

“here.”

luke gasped and stumbled back a step. “what the-“

“don’t be scared,” she said, taking a step towards him, her black eyes fixed on him. “i wont hurt you.”

 "how did i get here?" luke asked.

her smile widened. it didn't look like a smile anymore. "i brought you here, because you're beautiful. and i haven't seen anyone like you in eons." she laughed, but the sound was menacing. "don't worry, luke."

it would have been less terrifying if she wasn't so beautiful.

he shivered and asked again, "where am i? and who are you?"

the girl's smile returned to normal, making her thin, white face hauntingly lovely. "my name is nadir," she murmured. "and this is the house."

luke frowned. "you kidnapped me."

she chuckled. "i would hardly call you a kid, luke. you're much more than that." in an instant, she was by his side, one cold finger running along his jaw. "oh yes. you're so much more."

-

two days later, and luke was still at the house.

he refused to talk to nadir, and she was running out of patience. 

"you cannot ignore me forever. the longer you ignore me, the longer you will stay," she said, her black eyes furious.

"where am i?"

she shook her head. "i have already told you."

"explain the dolls to me," luke said, his voice hoarse with the lack of use.

nadir shook her head. "i cannot explain them myself, except to say that there were only four when i arrived, and there are five now. i suspect they're a kind of tribute to those who dwelt here. that one, there." nadir pointed to a doll with bizarrely colored hair. "he looks a lot like michael. he was here when i got here. i miss him often." 

"where did michael go?" luke asked, uneasy. he didn't like the way michael was looking at him.

he didn't like any of this, honestly.

nadir shrugged. "one day, i just woke up, and he was gone."

"why didn't you leave?" 

nadir frowned. "i was away from people for a long time, luke. i was scared of going back." she sighed. "i still am."