Fara's Way

Have you ever been bullied? Have you ever been a bully? If so, for either one, how did it feel? For a victim, it's going to your school or place of work and getting ready to be called names, teamed up against, physically hurt or harassed. For a bully, it does matter how you feel, but your effect on the people around you is toxic. This needs to end.

Let me share my story of how my elementary school friend (I will call her Fara for privacy reasons) pushed the negative effects of bullying out of her life to not only make our classroom a more positive space, but to show us all what it looks like to stand up to our bullies. 

It was fifth grade and around the chillier months here in Canada. I'd say around February or March. I remember the games we'd play: tag, manhunt, banana split. I also remember who the friend groups were. All the boys would hang out together at recess, and the girls would break off into separate groups. Fara was in my friend group. Fara was a normal girl, though she had a learning disability that separated her from the class academically. She came from a good family, but her brother was in Juvenile Detention at the time. 

She played the same games everyone else would, she had the same snacks as everyone else (Fruit-By-The-Foot was very popular within my elementary school). Why wasn't she accepted by the other children in our grade? Because she was different. 

One day, on the marshy field, Fara was talked to by a girl just above our grade. I will call this girl Adelaide. Adelaide was a person of high popularity. She was loved by teachers and students alike. She asked Fara why she was illiterate. Fara, of course, wasn't illiterate and didn't know what to say. Adelaide then proceeded to call Fara an idiot. This went on for weeks. Fara was the girl who didn't take things personally, but she was beginning to let Adelaide's words sink in.

During dodgeball with the 6/7's,  Adelaide made sure to target Fara. Fara was done with Adelaide's bullying and decided to try a new approach. Fara was going to be extremely nice to her antagonist. 

It worked surprisingly well. Whenever Adelaide came after Fara, Fara would compliment Adelaide on something, whether that be her hairstyle, her shoes, her makeup. Adelaide gave up eventually. Fara had won. I noticed some changes in Adelaide when Fara had shut her down. Adelaide was nicer. She played dodgeball as anyone else would, she spent time with the younger grades that she would usually pick on, she complimented me, which was something she had never done before.

Eventually, Adelaide apologized and befriended Fara. Adelaide learned that what she did was wrong and learned Fara's story. I can't assume Adelaide has kept this way of life since, but no doubt, Fara's method works.

-The End-

If you are being bullied or are a bully, seek help from an adult you trust. That may be your parent, guardian, teacher or guidance counselor. 

If you want to seek help anonymously, call Kids Help Phone (1-800-668-6868)

If you ever feel you need to chat, message me on here! I have a lot of free time and I'm happy to be your friend. 

(For contest purposes, the bolded letters do not count as my story.)