The Dragon's Call

Prelude

No young man, no matter how great, can know his destiny. He cannot glimpse his part in the great story that is about to unfold. Like everyone, he must live and learn. And so it will be for the young Warlock arriving at the gates of Camelot, a boy that will in time, father a legend. His name... MERLIN.

The Lower Town Of Camelot

Merlin smiled quietly to himself as he made his way through the first set of stone gates for Camelot. He enjoyed the freedom, to walk and for no one to judge him. The lower town's smoke hit the castle but his sense of excitement could not be dulled. The small muddy street he walked down was busy with people going about their business, young children running about and holding onto the hands of their mother. A donkey with two bags slung over its back stood in the path and Merlin absent-mindedly passed it. This small lower town was so already so different from his village and he loved it, although it did make him feel slightly homesick. It didn't take long for him to arrive at the second set of stone gates and he smiled, looking at the castle properly. 

Castle Courtyard

The sound of burgles playing grabbed his attention as he walked into the castle square and he slowly twisted his head to the side to see a weak-looking man being dragged out by two guards. Merlin joined the small crowd as he was pulled into the centre of the square and watched with varying interest. A voice from above made him turn.

"Let this serve as a lesson to all, this man, Thomas James Collins, is adjudged guilty of conspiring to use enchantments and magic. And pursuant to the laws of Camelot, I, Uther Pendragon, have decreed that such practices are banned on penalty of death. I pride myself as a fair and just King, but for the crime of sorcery, there is but one sentence I can pass...", the King halted and the crowd turned back to the middle of the square where a wooden stage had been set. Thomas James Collins was forced onto his knees and his head put on a wooden block. The axeman lifted his axe and waited for the King's signal. It didn't take long. The King flicked his arm up and the axe swung down with a mighty thud. The crowd gasped and some looked away. Merlin didn't know how to react. King Uther's voice filled the square once more.

"When I came to this land, this Kingdom was mired in chaos, but with the people's help, magic was driven from the realm. So I declare a festival, to celebrate 20 years since the Great Dragon was captured, and Camelot freed from the evil of sorcery. Let the celebrations begin", Uther stretched his arms out and smiled. A loud wailing filled the square, and an older woman pushed her way through the crowd. Uther turned back to stare at her in disbelief and horror. She pointed a knarled finger at him, "There is only one evil in this land, and it is not magic! It is you. With your hatred and your ignorance... You took my son. I promise you, before these celebrations are over, you will share my tears. An eye for an eye; a tooth for a tooth... A son for a son!"

"Seize her!"

The woman gasped and chanted a spell before disappearing in a whirlwind of smoke. Uther glared at the scene before sweeping away. The crowd began to disperse and Merlin nervously tightened his grip on his bag before walking away to find his new home. He stopped a guard and asked for directions, "Where would I find Gaius, the court physician?"

The guard pointed him towards a doorway, and Merlin thanked him. On his way into a small tower, he saw a helpful sign and knew he was going in the right direction.

The Physician's Quarters 

The battered door to the physician's quarters was open and Merlin knocked before peeking inside, "Hello?" He was only answered by the bubbling of a solution and decided to let himself in. The round room appeared empty and Merlin couldn't help but look at some of the strange objects with wonder and interest. A rustling from the far end of the room made him look up, "Hello?"