The Mermaid's Dream

Down at the very bottom of the ocean, a mermaid named Ella lay asleep.

She dreamt of swimming to the surface of the ocean to see the sunrise. She had always wanted to see the orange sun shining in the bright blue sky.

She dreamt of racing alongside large boats and waving at the people of the land.

Ella couldn't swim that high, one of her tail fins was much smaller than the other.

After another night of dreaming about the surface of the ocean Ella decided she wouldn't let her tail hold her back any longer.

She swam past the seaweeds at the bottom of the seabed where she met squid.

"I've never seen the blue sky, the orange sun or the stars and moon, today I'm going right to the top of the ocean to see it for myself."

The squid laughed. "With that fin? You won't get very far, and anyways the blue shark will surely eat you before you make it to the surface"

That didn't stop Ella, no silly squid was going to change her mind.

As she swam past the giant rocks, she saw crab and starfish.

"I've never seen the swimmers swimming or the giant boats floating above the water, today I'm going right to the top of the ocean to see it for myself"

Crab chuckled and starfish giggled too. "With that fin? You won't get very far, and anyways the blue shark will surely eat you before you make it to the surface"

That didn't stop Ella, no silly crab or starfish was going to change her mind.

Ella carried on although she did feel rather tired. Slower and slower she swam towards to the surface.

Until, at the corner of her eye she saw a large pointy fin, smooth blue skin and a mouth filled with razor sharp teeth, it was a blue shark.

She had heard so many stories about the blue shark that she swam faster and faster. She was not going to get eaten by a shark.

She could almost see the light of the sun shining through the waves when..

...a giant humpback whale came up from behind her, opened its gigantic mouth and swallowed her whole. She was far too busy trying to swim away from the shark to notice the whale.

"No one warned me about the humpback Whale" she whispered to herself. "
This can't be it, there's got to be a way out of here"

Ella swam around the mouth of the whale as she thought of a plan, her tiny tail tickled the roof of the whale's mouth as she did so.

The Whale didn't like being tickled and shuddered.

Ella realised what had happened and used her tail fins to tickle the Whale even more.

The whale couldn't hold it in any longer and WHOOSH! The whale blew right out of its blow hole and Ella came flying right out.

She landed on top of the whale.

It took a moment for Ella to realise she was finally at the surface.

She waved at the swimmers and then swam alongside the boats.

She looked up at the orange sky as the sun set, she waited for the stars to come out and greeted them with a smile.

She swam in the light of the moon; she had never felt happier.