Chapter 1

I think I've gotten past all the stupid bat-like creatures. I see the gothic castle up ahead. I'm just happy I'm out of that creepy forest.

You see, my town was under attack with the full forces of hell. Hell hounds, gargoyles. You name it, it's attacking my town. And my mothers usually very affective work doesn't work on their wounds. We've lost far too many people. So I'm being brave and heading to Dracula's castle. To plead with him or to learn how to heal these wounds, I'm not sure. Both is preferred.

I reach the steps, hurting up quickly when I hear a guttural moan. Somethings gonna kill me tonight, rather it's Dracula or a tree I'm not sure. But I can't turn back now. I go to grab the big iron knocker, using both hands to bang it on the door. It feels weird, knocking on a vampire lord's door— but what else was I supposed to do?

While I wait for whoever's home I check my bag, making sure I have everything I left with. Reading glasses, a few herbs and a pastry. Good. The few times I fell over roots I was sure something would be missing or shattered.

I'm startled when the doors open with a grand swing, revealing a tall, redhead woman. Fuck. She's gorgeous. Another reason of many why I'm here, instead of fighting the creatures off at the town. If anyone found out about my... deviance.. is be stoned or something. Or if they found out about my interest in witchcraft. I'm also smart, and figure I've come to the source of all our problems.

"Who the hell are you?" The woman growls, leaning on the doorframe infront of me. I have to tilt my head up to hold eye contact with her pricing hazel eyes. Beautiful and scary. That seems to be the theme with this girl. "I-uh." I stutter. "What? Mouse? If you've made it this far it must be important?" The woman snaps her fingers. "I-uh. Sorry I'm just—I expected Dracula, is he uh, home?" I stutter. "A mortal wanting to see my father?" The girl laughs.

"He's dead honey, I killed him." She shrugs. Shit, if she can kill him I could be dead faster than I can blink. "He was a prick, and no prick deserves a place as a lord, surely." The redheaded girl shrugs. "I'm Cheryl. I guess I'm Dracula now." She smirks.

"So what is it you need?" She says after a pause, inspecting her short manicured nails. "I-uh. I need help." I shuffle my feet, holding my arm nervously. "Don't tell me your from the city down the road?" Cheryl furrows her brows, holding her face. "Because that towns not getting help. They killed my brother. I'll be damned if a peasant girl can get me to stop my revenge." Cheryl huffs, crossing her arms.

"But—." I start. "Yeah yeah the majority didn't. But they aren't innocent. Humans are cruel, they kill things that aren't of use or that don't line up with their beliefs. In my humble opinion they deserve to die." Cheryl interrupts, giving me an intense stare. "I-I'm a human." I mutter, avoiding eye contact. "But you're not a cruel one. You want to learn all you can to help people, without the corruption of money on mind. You're one of the only ones I wouldn't kill on sight. You're a Topaz, you're better than them." Cheryl explains, a smile ghosting her lips. "How did you know?" I ask. "Tan skin, brown hair and bad eyes." Cheryl smirks, holding my reading glasses that were in my bag. I get flustered.

"Give it back." I growl, jumping up. "More traits of the Topaz: short, and completely non-menacing." Cheryl teases. Placing the glasses on my head. "And to be clear, I don't need these unless I'm reading." I huff, stuffing the glasses in my bag. "How did you learn to pick pocket so easily?" I ask, looking at her again. She smirks.

"You wanna learn? I can teach you a lot more. If you stay here with me. Think of it as an escape from my wrath on your city." Cheryl shrugs. "My mother." I simply shrug. "She's been burned already. Priest witnessed her pet a hell hound. They're like puppies when it comes to witches." Cheryl gives me a short lived sorry look.