she lay there, counting the hundreds of tiny dots scattered across her bedroom ceiling. wrapped in what seem to be the security of her plush comforter; she waited.

waited to hear the obnoxious chatter of that old engine. She waited. waited to hear the truck door slam and his heavy lugg boots stammer across the pavement, she waited. waited to hear her mothers frantic screams, kitchen stools knocked over &, new china falling to pieces after being thrashed against the pantry door. She waited. Waited to find her mother passed out on the floor, covered in blood, eyes black & blue, a distorted nose & 2 fat lips; barely recognizable after taking so many hits to the face. She waited. Waited for the stench of cheap vodka to burn her nostrils upon entering the room. She waited. Waited to pry her intoxicated step fathers fingers from her unconscious mothers throat. She waited. waited To be struck to the floor with the unbearable force of a backhand to her jaw; followed by continuous blows. She waited. Waited to wake up the next morning, useing cover girl to camoflouge the bruises flowered across her face, & to not allow her fractured ribs to cripple her. She waited. Waited to disguise her misery w. A plastic smile. She waited. Waited to hold her head high & forget what happened the night before, because he told her years ago that if she told anyone he'd deny it all. She waited.

High beams lit up the pitch black that gulped and swollowed the

tiny 2 story house. In silence she listened, as his heavy boots stomped up the wooden steps & disappeared behind the screeching of the screen door. It was only a matter of seconds before it all began.... She was wide awake but having a nightmare.