Chapter 1

It was Halloween in Moominvalley. The nights had grown longer as the days became shorter. The air was bitter and cold. The leafs on the trees have slowly become different shades of orange and the grass was in almost the same condition. The blades of grass were almost dropping in response to the cold, not even attempting to stand upright again. Some of the branches were left bare as a harsh Autumn wind battered them, stealing the leafs away from them. The leafs drifted through the air, almost in some kind of dance. They drifted to the ground, only to be harshly picked up again by the next wind that came. The sea had become too cold to swim in unless someone was that crazy enough. The residents have started to collect firewood, wanting to get a head start on preparations of the winter hibernations. They also started to collect some rations before the cold killed off all the berry hedgerows and collected their harvest. The time of summer had come and gone, almost making it seem like it had been long forgotten.

Moomin woke up, feeling the bitter coldness in his room. He shivered at the feeling of the cold. He hesitated before he pushed the covers off of him. It felt colder now in his attic bedroom. He stood from his bed and walked over to his window. The condensation on it blocked the view from his window. He raised a hovering paw and opened the window. He pushed it open and shivered even more as the autumn wind intruded into his room. Moomin closed his window shut immediately after that. He felt more awake now after feeling that surprise. Deciding that it would be better to move around instead of standing in his room, Moomin walked downstairs. He heard movement from around the house. He heard Snorkmaiden and Little My moving around one of the guest rooms, waking up to the same experience that he had in his room. Moominmamma was moving around in the kitchen and moved to the drawing room. Moomin found her putting some wood in the fireplace and strike a match. She placed it on top of the wood. The fire made a crackling noise before it was muffled by Moominmamma closing the doors. She brushed her paws on her apron before spotting Moomin on the staircase. She smiled brightly at him, the bitter cold had seemingly disappeared from the room.

"Good morning, Moomin." She smiled, making the room even warmer with her kind voice. There was a rustle of paper and Moominpappa made himself known. He was sitting on the rocking chair, with a newspaper in his hands. He looked up and smiled at the young troll.

"Morning Moomin. How are you this morning?" He smiled.

"Morning Mamma, morning Pappa." Moomin greeted. He took a seat at the small table before looking outside at the scenery. He shuddered at the notion that summer was over. It meant that winter was approaching fast. It meant that it was soon going to be time to hibernate. It also meant that it was soon time for Snufkin to be leaving for the South. It wasn't always the best time of year for Moomin, saying goodbye to his best friend. Even though he slept, Moomin had always felt that Winter would always b the loneliest time of year for him. However, at the same time, he felt a little excited knowing that Snufkin would come back in the Spring. It was something that he was used to. It still saddens him though to say the least. In the distance, past the bridge, he could see a faint trail of smoke. He knew that Snufkin was awake now. And he also knew that it was almost time for the young traveller to get ready to leave. There was one thing that he wanted to be certain of however before the traveller left.

Right after breakfast, Moomin made his way towards Snufkin's campsite. The morning dew remained on the ground, making his feet wet as soon as he stepped on the grass. No doubt about it, Snufkin was wide awake. He was sitting by his campfire. Hanging over the flames, was a pot that had some porridge being kept warm. He was holding a mug of freshly made coffee in his hands, keeping them warm from the chill that breezed though the whole valley. 'At least Snufkin looks a lot better compared to how he was a few weeks ago.' Moomin thought, noting how bright the traveller looked. Just only a few weeks ago Snufkin had been going down a terrible emotional state. That was because he had found out that his father, Joxter, had been hiding in Moominvalley for a while and only Moominpappa knew about it. When Snufkin had found out he took a bad turn for the worse emotionally. However, his father came forward the same night, helping Snufkin get back to normal, letting them rebuild a relationship as father and son. It had been a hard road to get Snufkin to recover, but he was finally back to his old normal self at last. What made everything more crazy was the fact that Little My was Snufkin's older half sister, and it took a fair time for everyone to get used to that fact. Now she had demanded that Snufkin should just call her "My" since she was older than him. Needless to say he agreed, but he occasionally called her "Little My" just to wind her up sometimes. There were still a few unanswered questions that Snufkin needs answering, but for the time being, he just wanted to enjoy the time that he had with his family.