BRAND NEW DAY

Screams and sobs echoed, the wailing of despair danced around with the wind and gently blew against the tombstones. It had just rained, winter was on it's way, and the moon concealed it's self behind thick clouds as if to escape the deafening cries of the only woman in the graveyard.

The woman rarely ever left the property, the same black kerchief over her head as she kneeled before a grave, the grave of her beloved parents. Her black coat was soaked, the ends of it covered in mud. Her hands tapped on the stone, mumbles and whining accompanying the dull sound of her nails against the gravestone. It sounded like a song, an elegy, completely unplanned and coming natural to the graving woman.

No one came around anymore, the rest of her family had moved on and her siblings never cared. Dahyun was left alone, day and night crying over her parents' grave even if it had already been two years. Nothing could ever help her sorrow, take the pain away.

The cemetery was most of the times dessert. In the span of two years, Dahyun had only seen one woman come and place a single rose on a grave by the very back. It was in a bad condition and the brunette that visited didn't seem to care. She looked troubled, cheeks sucked in and wrists so thin Dahyun thought they'd break. The woman would only mumble a faint 'goodbye', not even looking at Dahyun.

"Should I give up?" her hoarse voice sounded, forehead resting against the stone as her eyes closed. She wasn't supposed to touch them, but she didn't care. All Dahyun wanted was to be with her parents..in any way she could.

Not once had she gotten an answer, no matter how many times she asked. Although she didn't actually wait for someone to answer. Maybe deep down she was trying to ask herself, finally realizing how much of a pathetic life she had been living for the past two years and doing nothing other than crying. How everyone moved forward but she backwards, burying herself into the moving sand that was her thoughts. The thoughts about giving up, ending everything, and joining her parents. All those thoughts that she had allowed to drown her into the darkness.

"You shouldn't." a voice rang in Dahyun's ears, but she didn't care to find out where it was coming from. The girl figured it was her mind playing tricks from starvation and dehydration.

The air suddenly felt different, the sky turned dark and stars appeared. A shining dust covered Dahyun's clothes as the wind blew harder and more dust came from the dark sky. It went everywhere, over all the graves, the trees, the dry lawn, the woman's hands and face. The shining dust was falling as the stars faded, melted, crumbled to pieces.

"Time goes by," the hallow voice sounded behind the shaking girl. Dahyun felt a surge of heat rush through her body, her wrinkled eyebrows relaxing and the hands that gripped the tombstone fell to her side. All her senses seemed to be failing on her, she could barely move as she listened to the voice, intoxicated by it's tone, it's color "So move on."

The shining dust —that turned out to be crushed stars — created a shield around the pale woman as if to protect her from the blowing, relentless wind.

"No one is able to stop it," the voice came closer, it's warmth tingling the skin of Dahyun's "Isn't it fine if we took a break?"

Footsteps, the sound of someone stepping on mud and water puddles echoed as the wind suddenly stopped and the star dust shield came crushing down around Dahyun's body, not protecting her anymore. Her eyes opened, but she didn't dare to move her head, not when she saw a pair of stained white shoes from the corner of her eye.

"Without hurrying," the person owning the stained shoes remained on their position— just above Dahyun's body. Their low voice broke goosebumps on the skin of the woman's nape, making the little hairs stand up. Dahyun shivered slightly, she was no longer crying "Just step by step."