Her Beastie

"Hello, Beastie," the tears continued to slip down Maleficent's cheeks even though Aurora was awake again. Aurora smiled up at her with the softest, sweetest smile she had ever seen. For a moment, the two only basked in the warmth and love of one another's eyes before something like confusion flickered across Aurora's face. Maleficent saw it and felt worry instantly flicker within her chest.

"What's the matter?" she asked, reaching out to touch Aurora's face gently, comfortingly. It was not something Maleficent ever thought she would do with anyone, let alone a human, but comforting Aurora came so naturally that her subconscious seemed to know what to do even before she did.

"You called me... Beastie?" Aurora asked. Her voice was soft, but not weak. After Maleficent registered her question, her own face softened and the gentlest of laughs slipped past her lips. She had forgotten that Aurora had never heard that nickname before. In all the times Maleficent would use it, it would be behind Aurora's back. But in all the times that they were face to face, Maleficent had not really needed to address Aurora by any name at all. So Aurora had never heard Maleficent call her "Beastie" before.

"It's a long story," Maleficent said with a wet smile as she continued to stroke Aurora's cheek lovingly.

"Well then tell it to me, Godmother, please! I want to know," Aurora reached up to press her hand against Maleficent's and Maleficent felt her heart warm and brighten like the sun.

"I will," she promised. "Just as soon as we get back to the Moors..."

Although it took longer than expected, Aurora and Maleficent did eventually make it home. And even better, Maleficent had returned with her wings! Aurora, fittingly enough, had been the one to find, free and return them to their rightful owner and they, in turn, wound up saving Aurora. With her wings restored, Maleficent had found the power to save herself and Aurora from Stefan's maniacal rage and end him for good. Then once he was safely out of the way, Maleficent and Aurora had been free to return home, peacefully.

Several days later, then, Aurora finally got the story from Maleficent.

"Godmother?" she asked.

"Yes?" Maleficent replied.

"You never did tell me where my nickname came from."

"Ah. You are eager to hear the story aren't you?" Maleficent chuckled softly. Aurora nodded with a big smile. "Well, Beastie, I warn you that it is not a happy tale," Maleficent said. For a moment, Aurora looked worried, but when Maleficent only gave her a mischievous wink, Aurora felt some of her fears alleviate. In truth, she was very keen to know why Maleficent called her "Beastie", though she hoped that it was not because she had done something to upset the fairy in the past.

"Ah, nothing like that," Maleficent promised. "It really was more my fault than anything. I was being stubborn. And stupid," then she explained.

By the end of the tale, they were both laughing. Even though the name had originally been an insult, born of anger, bitterness and hatred, it eventually became a term of endearment, used in love, kindness and affection.

"I hope you do not take too much offense to it?" Maleficent asked, but even though she was laughing, Aurora could hear the insecurity in her voice.

"Of course not, Godmother," Aurora promised reassuringly. "I know I was not an easy child and I am sure my aunties would agree with you that I could be quite the little beastie at times," she paused to laugh as she remembered all the stress she'd put her three original caretakers through. Now that she was all grown up and out of their hair, though, they had all been on much friendlier terms.

"Besides," the young girl continued. "I know now that you use it as a term of endearment, a sign of affection. How can I argue with that?" she smiled charmingly up at Maleficent. "In fact," she added, "if you wouldn't mind, do you think you could perhaps call me that instead of Aurora?"