Christmas (1/3)

Richie opened his eyes, yet he couldn't see a thing. He reached for the lamp but that didn't help much.
Once he put on his glasses he was able to see the environment around him. Immediately he looked towards the bedroom door.
The stocking was still there but something was different since last time he checked. This time it was filled. All the way from the tip of the toe to the edge.

It was still dark outside. Damn it, he thought to himself, no one is awake yet and if mom finds out I have opened the gifts without her consent she will freak.
Isn't it weird that she would be angry if he opened HIS gifts? No one else is going to have them anyway, he should be allowed to open them whenever he wants to. But it's better to wait so that's what he'll do.

To distract himself from the large beautiful gifts on the other side of his room he started playing on his gameboy. For the first time in... probably ever, he didn't enjoy it. The presents were too distractive.

Once his parents and little sister, Nicole, wakes up they will open the stockings, then have breakfast with his grandparents. After that they will go to church but Richie doesn't want to go with them. There's two reasons for that. Firstly because he doesn't really like being there and especially not on Christmas when there's so much other things you could do instead. Secondly, and mainly, it's because they will drive to his other grandparents once it's over and stay there for some days, meaning he won't be in Derry, meaning he won't be able to see Eddie.

Richie stepped out of his bed and laid on all four to look under, dragged out the gift that had been hidden underneath. It was wrapped in red paper with gold dots. This was the present he wanted to give Eddie but now he started to hesitate. He was scared to. And besides, when would he have the time?

His mother won't let him stay at home and miss church and she certainly won't let him go over to Eddie's. Perhaps Eddie wouldn't like it anyway. He is a very complicated and confusing person. Many people finds him annoying and too much to deal with. Richie loves him, and if he were able to, we would want to deal with Eddie's craziness all day long.

They have been best friends since they were nine years old. Four years now. Richie have had friends before but no one like Eddie. He's not sure Eddie feels the same way about him though. He definitely hope so because being as loved by that tiny little donkey as he is loved by Richie would be a dream.

However, Richie is very scared of his feelings toward his friend. Stanley and Bill are his friends as well and he doesn't feel nearly the same way about them. Of course you have different relationships with your friends. Some whom you like more and some less. But the way he likes Eddie is so different from all other feelings he have ever felt before. In fact, he loves him more than anyone else on this planet.

Richie puts back the present. Hides it under his bed and put the box of magazines in front of it so no one will find it. He cannot give it, it would be weird. If either of their mothers would find out a Third World War would break loose. No one can find out about this, he cannot risk that.