The Tale of Two Princes

A long time ago, long before the dawn of the new age in Egypt, there was a mighty and fierce Pharaoh, who ruled all of Egypt. This Pharaoh had 3 children: two sons and one daughter. His eldest child was Khotep, then his second child was Khaline, and his youngest child was Khoti. He was talking to his eldest son one day about his future. "My son. You will rule all of this someday." the Pharaoh explained. "I know. I can't wait." Khotep beamed. "Now listen, son. This is important. You must carry on my legacy." the Pharaoh stated.

"I will proudly take the throne." Khotep replied. "In doing so, you will marry your sister and become King." the Pharaoh explained. Khotep gasped, for he didn't want to marry his sister. "But, Father..." Khotep began to reply. His father just looked at him with an angry look on his face. Khotep was scared about his father's glare and whispered "Yes, Father." The Pharaoh sighed and declared "Khotep. I don't have time to discuss this matter with you. If you married someone of no royal blood, that would break our royal family heritage. Do you think the great Ra would approve of a wedding that isn't traditional? No! You will anger our gods and you would have dishonored us all. Do not fail me, son." The Pharaoh then sent his son to his room and sat in his throne.

Khotep angered by his father's request, marched into his room. He slammed the door and walked to the window. "If only things were different. Someday, when I become King, I am going to change that rule once and for all." He murmured to himself. He then sighed. His sister walked into his room. "Khotep. You okay?" Khaline asked. He partially turned to look at his sister. She walked in the room and shut the door.

"Why must we marry into our own bloodline?" Khotep asked. "Because it's the rules. If we don't, we will not only anger the gods, but we will also never rule." Khaline explained. "I thought that if you married someone, it would be for love. Not for the sake of a family heritage." Khotep stated. "Well for royalty, it's much different." Khaline replied. Khotep stood up and walked over to his sister. "It's not fair! It never was." Khotep yelled. "It's what our ancestors did." Khaline pointed out. "I don't care what our ancestors did. Things are different. Why must we apply to the same rule?" Khotep huffed. "It's our duty." Khaline replied.

"I don't care about duty. It's gross. Why does the people of Egypt get the privilege to marry someone they love, but we don't?" Khotep explained. Khaline put her hand on Khotep's shoulder. "Look. I don't want to have to go through with this either. But we really don't have a choice." Khaline replied. "Well. I would like to speak to Ra and get him to change his mind." Khotep replied. "No. Don't. That will anger him." Khaline exclaimed. "Khaline. I have to make this right." Khotep exclaimed back. Khaline took her hand off his shoulder.

"If you agree with me, then you should help me." Khotep declared. "But. I don't want to anger the gods and go against Father's rule." Khaline pointed out. "I thought you were going to understand. But I guess not." Khotep stated. He then walked past his sister, Khaline turned around and saw him leaving. "Where are you going?" Khaline asked. Khotep looked at her, opened the door, and answered "I'm going for a walk." He walked out and walked to the front gate. His father saw him leaving and asked "And just where do you think you're going, young man?" Khotep stopped in his tracks, turned around, and replied "Um. I'm taking a walk." "Why?" His father then asked. "Do I need to have a reason?" Khotep asked. "Yes. There is a reason behind everything, son. So tell me. What is it?" His father asked. "I'm getting fresh air. I want to get out of the palace." Khotep answered.

"Fine. Be back before dinner." the Pharaoh demanded. Khotep agreed and went on his merry way. He walked through the gate and walked into the desert, so he could talk to Ra. Once he was in the middle of nowhere, he prayed to Ra. "Ra. I must speak with you." Khotep replied. Ra heard Khotep's prayer and dropped in front of him in a sand tornado. The tornado then disappeared. Khotep saw Ra standing in front of him. "Lord Ra. God of the sun. There is a request I wish you could grant." Khotep explained. "What is this wish that you want me to grant?" Ra asked.