Saying Goodbye

The short, bronze-haired hybrid picked her way through the rubble that was once her house, her compact dragon wings shaking.
"Mum? Mum?" she whimpered, her eyes roving over the cement strewn ground.
Only a few minutes ago, she and her mother had been sheltering in their house, waiting for night to fall, so they could sneak down to the convenience store down the street.
"E-Erin?" a choke voice answered, breaking through the still, dusty air.
"Mum!" Erin cried, racing towards a crumpled wall, catching sight of a pale hand sticking out from under a pile of bricks.
Puffing and panting, Erin tugged at the pile of bricks, scattering dust and rubble around her. After a few minutes, she uncovered the upper half of a blonde haired woman, a pool of blood oozing out from under her.
"Mum! Mum!" Erin screamed, terror squeezing her heart in a vice-like grip.
When night had fallen, the two had been preparing to leave, until a huge Darkling monster came bursting out of the basement. Her mother had shoved her out of the house, and minutes later, the entire house collapsed.
"Mum, wake up! We need to go!" she cried, shaking her mother's shoulder, desperately.
Erin shuffled closer to her, squealing when her pants dragged in the increasing pool of blood.
"Erin. Are...you alright." she choked, raising her head, slightly.
A large cut ran across her forehead, spilling blood into her eyes. Her eyes were half closed, and matted clumps of hair stuck to her face.
"I'm fine, but we need to get out of here. I don't know where the Darkling monster went!" Erin explained, tugging at her mother's hand.
Adrenaline curled through her veins, as she whipped her head from side to side, looking for possible dangers.
"No...Erin, you go. I doubt I'll...be able to walk two steps." she coughed, pushing away Erin's hand.
"Then I'll help you! There's a house just down the street!" Erin yelped, tears beginning to sting her eyes.
"Erin," she said, a familiar note of authority entering her voice, "You need to head to the house down the street. If you stay here...you'll attract a Darkling Monster. Then we'll both end up dead. Now, go!
Erin paused for a moment, staring down at her mother's loving, familiar face. Fat, hot tears began to roll down her cheeks, and her small shoulders began to shake.
"I love you, Rin. I always will. Now, go. Quickly." she murmured, giving her a quavering smile.
Erin nodded, before turning and racing down the street, her heart hammering. Tears ran down her cheeks, making her vision blurry. Her feet flew over the ground, her heart thundering.
Guilt tore at her insides, as she put more distance between her and her mother. She didn't want to leave to leave her. Her mother had always been the one who took care of her, the one who loved her more than anything. After they'd woken up to a destroyed city, her mother had been the one to protect her, to keep her alive.
And now she was alone.
She scrambled up the cement drive and shoved the door open, slamming it behind her. The minute the door was shut, Erin's legs gave out and she dropped to the floor. Her entire body shook with misery, and tears choked her vision. She dug her hands into the plush carpet, sobbing, wretchedly.
All she wanted to do was go back and save her mother. But she couldn't. She knew what her mother had said was right. But she didn't want it to be.
                                    *
Erin lay curled beside the door, the musty scent of the carpet filling her nostrils. Tears still ran down her face, but she had no more energy to give to her misery. She wrapped her arms around herself, but it didn't offer her any  comfort.
Suddenly, the faint sound of rustling caught Erin's attention. She raised her head, slightly, and caught sight of a small figure kneeling in front of her.
Fear dueling her movements, Erin scrambled into a sitting position.
"Hey there!" the girl cried, in a tinkling voice.
The girl was very pale, her black plaits  contrasting starkly with her white skin. Petite black bat wings curled around her. A slightly torn, black dress hung off her slim frame.
"W-Who are you?!" Erin yelped, curling her wings around herself, defensively.
"I'm...your sister!" the girl laughed, bouncing on the spot.
"But...I don't have any siblings."
"Well, I don't know! I don't know how these things work!"
"Well, how about this. What's your name?"
"What's your name?"
"Erin. Now, what about you?"
"Um...Rina. I am now Rina!"
"That sounds like my name?"
"Yeah, so?"
Erin began to answer, before giving up. Whatever this young hybrid's deal was, she wasn't really interested.
"So, why are you in here?" Rina asked, flashing her a wide, cheerful grin.
"Because...my mum told me to." Erin murmured, a kernel of sadness settling in her chest.
"Where's your mum? Did one of those Darkling Monsters get her?" she chuckled, still grinning.
Tears began to fill her eyes again, as she thought about her mother and the Darkling Monster in their basement.
"I-I'm sorry. I didn't...I didn't mean to upset you." Rina backtracked, nervously.
"Its fine. I'm fine. Don't worry about it."
"Do you want me to leave?"
"No...It's fine. You're not so bad."
"Thanks."
"No problem."
"So...can we be sisters now?"