W.i.p

Chapter1

 "Westarted dying before the snow, and like the snow, we continued tofall." ~Lousie Erdrich

"It was a dark and stormynight; the rain fell. A violent gust of wind swept up the streets,rattling along the house-tops, and fiercely agitating the scantyflame of the lamps that struggled to shine against the darkness."

Awar has started and you could hear the sound of guns firing in thedistance. That night everything went wrong at the home of the Woodsfamily. People showed up at their door, dressed as armed soldiers.They stood tall and spoke with a firm voice as they demanded to seethe parents of Emerson Woods.

The soldiers forced the twoout of the house and they left little Emerson inside. The soldiersspoke to Emerson's Parents, as they did, Emerson watched them fromthe window. She watched as her parents begged and pleaded forsomething. . . but what was it? Her parents, Charlotte andChristopher, went inside the house to explain to Emerson whathappened.

"Emerson, sweetie, the soldiers told us thatwe are needed in the western unit right near the central station, nottoo far away from here. Listen Em, we need to go to help fight badpeople." Emerson's mom would say softly as tears formed in hereyes

"What do you mean mommy?" Emerson asked.

"...Emerson." Her dad interjected, "They want us to help fight thewar, in which case, we need to leave the house for a while. We willbe back soon, I promise."

Emerson started to getworried. "What do you mean by leaving the house? How long will yoube gone? Who am I going to live with?!" Emerson demanded, her heartracing.

Charlotte spoke., "We will hire someone to watchover you and make sure you're safe. You will remain in this house.Your dad and I won't be gone long."

One of the soldierssignaled that it was time to leave.

"Emersonwe have-" Her dad's sentence would cut off as they hear a loudBOOM.

"Mommy, I'm scared" Emerson whispered as she huggedher mom tight

"It'salright sweetheart we'll be back soon," Her mom said, hugging herback.

The soldiers grabbed both of the parents by the armand started to lead them out of the house

"MOMMY,DADDY!!" Emerson yelled, "Why are they taking you away!?"Emerson yelled as she attempted to run after them. Two of thesoldiers grabbed her and held her back. Emerson kicked and squirmedas she watched her parents get dragged away and put into acarriage.

Emersondespises the Royals and Nobles because they let this happened to herhome, and to her parents. . . Once her parents got into thatcarriage... Soon, Emerson would find out that she was never going tosee them again. . .

Chapter2

Acouple days pass and Emerson and would be lying in bed still fearingdarkness, her parents would always be there to comfort her when shehears a noise or when she sees monsters. Emerson dozes off into alight sleep as she hears a loud BOOM outside. She got up and lookedout the door seeing smoke and fire arise from the building not so faraway from her home.

Shethinks nothing of it because she knows she'll be safe as long as herparents return. Emerson climbs back in bed and cuddles up next to herteddy bear, falling fast asleep. Hours past and there's a loud knockthat echoed through the halls – She wakes up. "Who's here.."She rubs her eyes and hesitates before sitting up. The knocks getlouder . . . Why is someone at her door this late at night?

Emersonwould lean over and grab a match from the side table, she strikes thematch against the paper and lights her lantern. She would walk to thedoor holding a lantern. As she opened the door she sees a tallmysterious man standing in front of her wearing a camouflage militaryuniform with dark combat boots. Emerson, being a small child, she'susually afraid of people. She would slam the door shut as she peeksthrough the peek hole.

The man would stand there waiting forher to open up the door.

Emerson would take a deep breathand starts opening the door, hiding behind it. The sound of the doorcreaking open echoed throughout the house. Everything was silentuntil...

"Miss Emerson?" The tall dark man wouldsay.

"H-how do you know my name!?!" Emerson wouldhesitate to speak as she fears that he's dangerous

"MissEmerson, May I come inside? I have some news I would like to sharewith you"

"N-no!You may not come inside! my parents will be home soon you can talk tothem about it" Emerson would say shyly

Theman would sigh as he begins to talk "Miss Emerson. . . I have somebad new's for you, but first, let me introduce myself. I'm GarrothRoss I'm here on behave of the Nightingale guard unit. I got wordthat something may have happened to your parents."

The manwould say as he looked down.

"Whatdo you mean my parents?" Emerson starts to worry but would staystrong as she knows something is about to happen.

Garrothwould kneel down to face Emerson "Sweetie Listen to me, I got wordfrom the higher-ups that there was a bombing near the centralstation."

"What does this have to do with my parents?"She would question him.

"That's the station where yourmom and dad were stationed at" Garroth would look into her eyes"Emerson Your mom and dad are dead."He explained

"H-huh?"Emerson would feel a rush of emotion sweep through her body as itfeels like a thousand lightning bolts are hitting her. "Yourkidding right?"

Garrothwould say softly "No, I'm sorry"

The little girls'eyes would fill with tears as she falls to the ground on her kneessobbing. Garroth could only watch as there could be nothing done tohelp.

Little Emerson at the age of 8 would think toherself "I can't be alone! Mommy and daddy aren't dead!" Thesethoughts ran through her head as she stood up. Emerson would start towalk than run towards the door as she got faster and faster heradrenaline would only increase. Tears running down Emerson's face asshe runs to the place where they last saw her parents last, CentralStation.

Garrothwould run after her and tries to stop her but she is going so fast hecan't keep up. Emerson would stand in front of Central Station as thewind blows in her hair. The sight that Emerson saw that night was notto be forgotten. The whole building was on fire, people screaming,gun firing. All she could do is watch as the buildingburns.

Chapter3

Emersonwould stand in front of the burning building as Garroth grabs heryanking her away from the scene. Everyone was trying to work togetherto put out the fire, some people went into the building trying tofind survivors and some poured buckets of water on it. Emerson wouldstand there watching, waiting, hoping her mom and dad would get outalive.

Allyou could hear were screams and cries as people watched their lovedones come out of the building. Garroth hugged Emerson shielding hereyes from the horror. There were medical staff and doctors on thesight treating those who are injured, and guards moving people awayfrom the fire.

AllEmerson was do as watch as the sight of a once standing buildingburn. The smell of burning wood and charcoal goes through everyone'snoses. Emerson cried into Garreth's chest.. hoping, praying the nextperson that comes out of the building is her parents... Everyonewould hear a scream coming from the building window, it was a man anda woman but you couldn't tell who they were. As screams run throughEmerson's head, she pushes Garroth away and starts running towardsthe building. She didn't know if it was her parents or not but theone thing she knew was that she was not going to give up withoutknowing.

"W-wait, Emerson!" Garroth shouted,running in after her but quickly lost her in all the chaos of peoplescreaming and running around

She trudged through thesmoke-filled room, trying to cover eyes with her shirt. As sheentered, she heard a loud, creaking noise, as if the building wasgoing to collapse. The would be wary as she carefully walked aroundthe building, attempting to find the stairs. Once Emerson came acrossthe staircase, she set one onto the stair as it broke from theweight, causing her foot to sink down into the hollow stair. Theburning hot stair cut into Emerson's foot, burning her. Emerson letout a cry, but, she was too determined to see her parents again. Shelifted her burnt leg out of the stair and pushed on, going up thesteps.

Emersonreached the top of the steps, coughing. She covered her mouth withher shirt again She ducked down low and continued searching. Emersonsoon came across a section in the house where a piece ofhot-blistering wood sat. The wood had burning hot flames eruptingfrom it. Emerson got scared and didn't want to cross but, theirpeople are on the other side.

Emerson looked around theflaming room for something to pick the wood up with. It was a prettybig piece of wood so she couldn't do it herself. Her eyes wandereduntil they landed on a metal rod sticking out of the wall. she ranover uncovering her mouth and tried to rip the rod out of thewall.

"Emerson, Emerson! Are you up there!?"came Garroth voice from below her, down the stairs.

Emersonheard her name and she looked over at the stairs but, continued topry the rod out of the wall. Finally, she ripped the rod out of itsplace in the walls and ran back to the piece of blistering wood.Garroth started to run up the stairs as Emerson tried to lift up thewood. She stuck the metal rod under the wood, pushing it up. With hertiny arms, she managed to push the rod down. picking up the wood.Emerson continued to push it to the side as she runs into theroom.

Emerson grabbed one of the girls' hands and Garrothentered the room, shouting for Emerson to step back from the peopleand run out of the building.

"Wait- You aren't mommy!"Emerson let go of her hand, stepping back.

"Emerson!"Garroth yelled.

Garroth ran over to Emerson and held herhand.

"We need to get out of here! The building is aboutto collapse!" Garroth croaks, coughing from the smoke.

Thepeople in the room nodded and followed Garroth down the stair andtowards the door. Emerson walked in the back, still looking for herparents. Her eyes wandered over to the bedroom. There seemed to be adoor by there-

Emerson started to hallucinate from thefumes going through her lungs. She saw her parents walk into themysterious room and close the door behind them. Emerson slowly walkedas Garroth tried to pull her arm to go faster. She yanked her armfrom him and ran to a different room. Garroth was shocked. He quicklyled the people to the door and tried to go find Emerson.

Emersonapproaches the door, swinging it open. Nothing inside except cleaningsupplies. She got shocked and started shoving all the items off theshelves. There was no exit except the door she had come through.Garroth yelled to Emerson to get over to him but, sherefused.

Garrothwas about to take a step closer when he heard a loud -CREEEEEKKK-from the floor. He glanced down and saw cracks forming in thefloor.

"E-Emerson! Get out of there now! The floor isabout to collapse!" As Garroth calls out to Emerson. he tried totake a step closer but is greeted by another -CRREEEEEKK- "Sweetie!Come on, get out of there. I can't get there if I do, the floor willbreak and I'll fall!"

Emerson turned around hearingGarreth's voice but couldn't make it out from all the loud noisesaround her. Emerson started to walk closer but was interrupted by aloud -CRASH- from the other room. The noise startled Emerson so sheran back into the closet and closed the door crouching down, coveringher ears and whimpering.

"NO EMERSON! COME BACK OUT!"Garroth would scream

Tear forming in little Emerson'seyes, all she wanted was for her parents to be safe and for her toget out of there alive. The room would be burning around Emerson asshe feared for safety. Emerson would sit there waiting for her lifeto flash before her eyes start to close. There would be a loud crash-as the floor falls to the lower level, as there was no escape forEmerson. This is where Emerson would last stand as the flame fill therooms. As Emerson's little eyes close she faints from the smoke. Asher lifeless body lays there desperate to be saved Garroth is on theother side of the door doing anything to save her.

Asthe floor collapses Garroth would be on his hands and knees crying,praying, hoping Emerson was safe. Garroth got up and looked at thedoor across the gaping hole in the floor. Garroth was ready, hetrained for this moment in his life. If it meant risking his life tosave another, he'll do it. He got Prepared for the worst. Garrothwrapped his shirt around his hand just in case my slips and has tocatch himself. Garroth took a few steps back and he starts runningtowards the hole.

"NO TURNING BACK NOW!" Garroth wouldyell on the top of his lungs as he jumps.

Garroth leapsover the jump and lands face first onto the floor. Garrothimmediately gets up opening the door and grabs Emerson and throw herover his shoulder. There was no way he would jump across that againwith Emerson on his shoulder, He was done for.

So he thought,Garroth was about to give up hope when he sees a hole in the side ofthe house-

He lays down Emerson as he picks up a broom andbangs the bottom of the broom onto the wood attempting to break it.He finally breaks the wood, as he grabs Emerson he sits down and isabout to jump. He takes a deep breath and jumps protecting Emerson'shead from the impact. Garroth jumps out of the window with Emerson inhis hands. He lands on his back with Emerson on his stomach. Garrothwould quickly get and to see if Emerson is okay.

AsGareth checks her pulse.. there's nothing.. he can't feelanything!?

Garroth would quickly pick up Emerson and runs tothe front of the building with tears streaming down his face as thoshe was his own child. He would stumble back and forth carryingher.

"Someone!Anyone! Help this child! She isn't breathing!" Garroth would yellas he lays Emerson on the grass.